Thursday, April 25, 2024

[Teaser] DCO Volume 4 Chapter 2.1


TEASER

Volume 4 Chapter 2.1

Patchwork Obsession Part 1

 

I loved my dad.

He knew everything I didn't know and was always there to protect me. Someone I truly admire.

I felt at ease under his big hands that stroked me, and I was happy to have been born with hair the same color as his.

My first memories as a child are the sensation of my body being rocked by the carriage, the clear wind, and the endless plains of withered grass. I remember my eyes often glancing up at the dust and sand smoke that rose up in the air.

Spending my days traveling with my parents, who were both adventurers. That was my life when I was a child.

My parents were always on good terms with each other and never had a single quarrel.

They were both well-educated and skilled in the martial arts, and they fought off many powerful demonic beasts with their well-matched combination of skills.

My parents were always requested by various people by name, and at the same time, they were highly appreciated.

I was proud of them, and I did not doubt that one day I would learn from them and become a first-rate adventurer. But those days didn't last forever.

My father ...... passed away.

How did he die, what was the cause? I still don't know.

But I do remember that shortly before he died, my mother argued with him.

No, it was more like a one-sided confrontation.

We were on our way from town to town when the trees and grass had fallen asleep. As I drifted off to sleep in our camp tent, I was awakened by my mother's strong tone of voice.

 

"What the heck are you thinking!?"

 

I peeked out through a gap in the tent and saw my mother there, who was unusually loud and impatient.

Dad answered all of Mom's questions, then apologetically hugged her and whispered something in her ear.

Just what did he say, I wonder? My mother's eyes widened and she burst into tears.

Then she bit her lip sadly and hung her head, not pressing my father any further.

Mom, who was always smiling and cheerful and never showed any signs of weakness, cried. I felt a tightening sensation in my chest upon seeing it, and I involuntarily walked out of the tent.

 

"Lisa ....... Were you awake?"

 

Their eyes widened when they noticed me coming out.

 

"Hey, I got an urgent job to do. Dad has to go."

"E...... a, uh......."

 

Wait, what happened? Why is Mom crying?

My head was quickly filled with one question after another, my bad premonition grew even worse, and my heart was beating fast with shivers as if my whole body was frozen. My mouth kept flailing in impatience to say something, and as if I had forgotten what to say, I only uttered meaningless noises.

 

"Don't worry, I'll be right back."

 

After gently patting me, who was anxious and dismayed, Dad went away.

A month later, he came back stone cold.



This is just a teaser.
The full chapter is currently only available for my Patrons.
This chapter will be available for free on May 16, 2024.

Support Me