Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 55

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #55

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 55:  Oh? Shinomiya-san is......? (2)

 

 

 

 Then came the long-awaited weekend.

 

 I had come to the venue of the card exchange meeting, guided by Anna.

 

 The place was a high-class hotel in Tokyo. The party hall was rented out and the card exchange event was being held.

 

"Uh, hey, I came in my uniform like you said, but are you sure this is okay?"

 

 I asked Anna, feeling uneasy at the sight of the luxurious-looking suits of the people around me.

 

 Anna looked at me with a puzzled look on her face and replied,

 

"It's fine. Look, aren't I wearing a uniform too? In fact, compared to wearing a suit, you won't be judged because of the price or brand, and on the other hand, you'll be looked up to for coming here as a student. ...If anyone still makes fun of you, it means they don't even know that the person they are making fun of is the daughter of the organizer and her friend, so don't worry about it."

 

"I- Is that so."

 

 This was what the upper-class girl said, so let's just accept it.

 

"But... is this really a card exchange event? It's different from what I imagined."

 

 I said that while looking around.

 

 I looked around the venue and didn't see a single card, and the participants were chatting and laughing over drinks and snacks.

 

 I had imagined a formal business meeting to exchange expensive cards, but this was a standing buffet party.

 

I was expecting a formal business negotiation since it was an exchange event for expensive cards, but this turned out to be a buffet party.

 

"Ah... this is just a place to deepen our relationships. The actual business negotiations are held in private rooms on the lower floor."

 

"I, I see......... but don't you have to know who has which card?"

 

"The participants are sent a catalog of the cards to be exhibited in advance, so they can get an idea of what to expect. Well, some people don't put their real highlights in the catalog, so this kind of social interaction is the way to deepen our interactions while exploring."

 

"Huh... But I haven't seen that catalog yet."

 

"Senpai won't need it. Besides, the catalog alone costs one million yen. ......"

 

A million yen just for a catalog?! That's too much of a rip-off! Or is it fair if you consider the participation fee and information about who has what?

 

 While I was troubled by not knowing the market prices of the real rich people, Anna was looking around the venue with her ponytail fluttering.

 

"Oh, there he is. Follow me."

 

"Oh, oh......."

 

 As I obediently followed her, I saw a well-dressed middle-aged man and an elderly gentleman chatting and laughing.

 

 Eventually, when that conversation had died down, Anna naturally stepped in with a greeting.

 

 After a word or two were exchanged, the well-dressed middle-aged man smiled and walked away.

 

 Anna then introduced the elderly man who had stayed behind to me.

 

"Senpai, let me introduce you. This is Tono-san, the merchant who will be doing business with you today."

 

"Ah, Nice to meet you, sir. My name is Kitagawa, and I am an adventurer."

 

"I am Tono. Nice to meet you. Well, it's an honor to actually meet you in person."

 

"Yes?!"

 

 When someone who clearly appeared to be from the upper class said something like that to me, I couldn't help but let out a confused sound.

 

    "Senpai is an adventurer who discovered [Spiritual recurrence]. You're quite famous among the merchants."

 

 Anna whispered in my ear.

 

I, I see. ....... I hear that the card market was shaken up considerably at the time due to the discovery of [Spiritual recurrence]. Those who were most affected by it were probably the card merchants, rather than the adventurers.

 

 The card merchants must have profited greatly from the sudden rise in the value of the [Zero existence] cards, which had previously been treated as bad stock.

 

 On the other hand, however, some of them must have lost a lot of money.

 

 Depending on the degree of this, I might be secretly arousing resentment, and I was becoming more cautious in my heart...

 

"Haha, don't worry. I'm one who made a lot of money."

 

 It was as if he had seen through my inner thoughts when he said that.

 

"Ah, Is that so..."

 

"Senpai ......, there is no way I would introduce such a person to you."

 

 When I blushed and looked down, Anna whispered to me with an exasperated look on her face.

 

 If you think about it normally, that's true.

 

Tono-san here specializes in preparing resurrection cards and rank-up cards for professional adventurers.”

 

 ......So it's like that, I thought to myself. If he was running a business that met those needs, he would have had a large number of cards with [Zero existence] skill, and he would have made a lot of money.

 

 And now I can see why Anna took the trouble to introduce me to him.

 

"I heard that Kitagawa-san is in need of a Zashiki-warashi and a female vampire for resurrection. I think I can help you."

 

"......Please take care of me."

 

 I bowed to Tono-san who had a warm and friendly smile.

 

"...Hmm, now I see."

 

 We moved to a private room and showed Tono-san a bunch of D-rank cards and magic items.

 

"First of all, regarding the magic items, this is about five million in cash. If it would be in the form of an exchange for the cards, I would buy it worth for 6 million yen."

 

"...... I see."

 

 The amount Tono-san offered was just a little bit higher than the Guild's purchase price.

 

 Still, it was helpful that I could sell it for a little more.

 

 However, my main concern was the cards.

 

 The Guild's purchase price for D-rank cards was at 10% of the market price. The D-rank cards that I have were all low-ranked among D-rank cards, priced between 100,000 and 200,000 yen per card. I cannot revive Renge and Eliza at the same time unless they are bought at double or triple the Guild's price.

 

"Next, regarding these cards..."

 

 I swallowed heavily.

 

Is it okay to say that you want to sell all of this?”

 

"Huh? Ah, yes...I don't have any plans to use them either."

 

 I answered, feeling slightly embarrassed.

 

"I see......, may I ask you about your budget, Kitagawa-san?"

 

"Um... I've prepared about 35 million yen in cash. I guess you could also add the price of the magic items that you mentioned earlier."

 

"Ho....... If that's the case, how about exchanging all of these cards, all of the magic items, and the 35 million yen for three cards?"

 

"Eh? Three...?"

 

"Yes, the zashiki-warashi, the female vampire, and a card of your choice."

 

"This is ......

 

 On the screen of the tablet that Tono-san showed me, there was a list of C rank cards.

 

 The list also included the details of their skills.

 

 As I was scanning the list, one of the cards caught my eye.

 

This card is...

 

"There is nothing I could hope more..... But are you sure about this?"

 

 In addition to the resurrection cards of zashiki-warashi and female vampire, one more C-rank card should obviously be a loss,.......

 

 As I tilted my head, Tono-san told me the reason.

 

 First of all, the reason for the unexpectedly high price for the D-rank cards was that there were many cards of the same type and that there was no significant difference in the skill composition.

 

 Currently, the establishment of adventurer schools is booming in the U.S. and other countries, and the demand for D-rank cards as educational materials seems to be increasing.

 

 Since they would serve as educational materials, there should not be big differences in their performance, so the same kind of cards with no significant differences in skill composition would be preferred.

 

"I am happy to exchange such a large collection of cards for the resurrection cards. After all, there is no tax on card exchanges."

 

"I see."

 

 Tono-san smiled at me,

 

"The 35 million cash will be accounted for as the purchase of the resurrection card of the zashiki-warashi."

 

"Thank you very much."

 

 I received the receipt that Tono-san cut for me. The cards purchased from the card merchant will be treated as an expense because they have the same qualifications as a specialty store accredited by the Guild.

 

 ......Some of the card merchants were self-proclaimed and unqualified, so you still need to be careful, but in this case, the transaction was organized by Dungeon Mart, so I can rest assured that I'm in good hands.

 

"The cards will be delivered to you via Dungeon Mart in a week."

 

"Thank you very much for all this."

 

"No, no, I am also grateful. If you need anything in the future, please feel free to contact our office."

 

 We exchanged contact information, shook hands, and I parted ways with Tono-san.

 

"...With this, Senpai's strength will be fully restored."

 

"Yeah, all thanks to you, Anna. Thank you."

 

 I bowed my head deeply.

 

"Please don't worry about it. It's just introducing you to someone."

 

 That's the big thing though. If Anna had not introduced me to a trustworthy card merchant, I would not have been able to sell my D-rank cards at such a high price, and there would have been no chance of reviving Renge and Eliza together.

 

 But perhaps it would be unwise to express my gratitude in more words.

 

 Let's return this gratitude with actions of our Adventurers' Club.

 

 ...Now that I thought about it, I suddenly remembered something.

 

Is Shishido okay?

 

 He had been absent for days now.

 

 If it had been only a day or two, I would have thought he was just sick, but if it had continued on for three days, I started to get concerned.

 

 The teacher said that he was taking a break due to a high fever, but...

 

 Yet, if he was seriously missing in the dungeon, I'm sure the guys in the Shishido group would have asked me for advice or something.

 

 Am I being too paranoid?

 

 ——It was that night that Shishido's search quest arrived.

 

 

 

 

[Tips] Card merchant

 

 A merchant specializing in cards. When the dungeon first appeared, when the use of cards had not yet been discovered, cards were treated as a type of artwork, so the business system of the card merchant followed that of the art merchants.

 

 As a profession officially recognized by the government, cards purchased from a card merchant are properly recognized as expenses in the year-end tax calculation.

 


***

 


Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

Support Me