Monday, July 10, 2023

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 18

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #18

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

 

Episode 18 High Income - Low Expenses = No Income

 



"Yo, that must have been hard. I got chills watching this."

 

 After my conversation with Ono was over and I took my seat, the East-West combi was the first to speak to me.

 Nishida patted me on the shoulder and said that, then Higashino laughe, saying,

 

"The rebuke you gave to Narikin was really refreshing.”

 

“Oh, oh... Um, you know..."

 

“But I didn't expect that Maro is an adventurer. I guess that's what those part-time work days were all about.”

 

“When exactly did you start?”

 

 I was about to say that I was sorry for not telling them that I became an adventurer, but I was swept away by the flow of the conversation.

 I answered Nishida's question,

 

"Ah, it was around the end of October.”

 

“It's really just recently, isn't it?"

 

“And you already got two-star? That’s amazing! I don't really know, but it's a lot of work just to go from one star to two stars, no?”

 

“Ah, ah, there are many F-rank dungeons that can be conquered in a day trip, but the E-rank dungeons require overnight stays. There are also a lot of traps and such.”

 

"Haa, that's tough work.”

 

“I guess there's no such thing as a job where you can make easy money.”

 

“So, what kind of cards does Maro have?”

 Nishida's eyes lit up as he asked me that.

 

 When I was about to take my cards out, Higashino stopped Nishida.

"Come on, we'll be able to watch it on TV on Christmas anyway, so let's look forward to it."

 

"Ah, that's true. Uh, but, is it okay?  You ended up participating in the tournament as if Ono was leading you into it."

 

"Oh, ...... I have to admit I'm not entirely excited about it, but I also think it's a good chance."

 

When I said this while scratching my cheek, Higashino nodded his head in understanding,

 

“I figured, ...... well, you're aiming to be a pro, aren't you?"

 

“The guys in our class are just looking for some fun, but we're really rooting for you. Good luck.”

 

“Thank you ......."

 

 The heartfelt support from my friends warmed my heart a little.

 

 Even though I had kept quiet about me becoming an adventurer, they still treated me the same. They may be a dull bunch, but they are definitely a good bunch.

 

“By the way, do you actually think you can win at least a little bit?"

 

"Even if you can't make the top four ......, can you win at least two rounds?"

 

“You idiot! Stop putting pressure on him. It would be a pity if he lost in the first round, wouldn't it?”

 

“Oh, yeah, right, sorry, Maro.”

 

“You guys......”

 

 My cheeks twitched at my ruffian friends, who said they were rooting for me but actually looked as if they didn't expect me to do much.

I snorted and smiled gruffly.

 

“Well, look carefully. I'll show you my power and what I can do.”

 

***

 

 

 

"Uwaa~n! Renge, huhu~n, my classmates are being mean to me..."

 

 After school. As soon as I arrived at the dungeon, I called out Renge and hugged her. I clung to her as if to bury my face in her stomach.

 Renge's eyes widened in shock at the suddenness of it, but she seemed to understand the situation immediately…

 

"This time I will allow it, Marodai1-kun. What happened?"

 

Renge said while patting my head.

 

"So-and-so, so-and-so."

 

 I told her in order what had happened today.

 That when I went to school in the morning, the atmosphere in the classroom was strange. That I was exposed as an adventurer without permission. That the hateful people had gotten involved. That I fought them off, but Ono, a central figure in my class, talked me into participating in a MonColo tournament.

 

 After hearing the general outline, Renge said in amazement,

 

I see. So that's how you ended up participating in the tournament. You really are an idiot, aren't you? You're like a pig that was cajoled to climb a tree.”

 

"Don't say such things and help me! At this rate I won't have a place in the class~"

 

“No helping it. In such a case, this is it2!"

 

 Saying that, Renge took out a straw doll from her sleeve.

 

 ............Eh?

 I involuntarily became confused.

 

“Oh the straw doll of zashiki-warashi~. ...... ……OmMahaashriyeSvaahaa3."

 

 Renka did a D*raemon-style voice imitation only at first, then she suddenly began chanting the incantation in a low voice.

 The straw doll seemed to glow with a black light for a moment.

 

“Phew, now I've put a curse on the classmate who was mean to Marodai-kun.”

 

“Yeah? Like what?”

 

“The curse of [Leaking Shit on a Crowded Train].”

 

 ........................ Scary.

 Eh, it's not a real curse, is it? Just kidding, right?

 

 The cards cannot be used outside of the dungeons, nor can it have any effect outside of the dungeons. Experiments have proven that even if an enemy inflicts a status ailment within the dungeon, it will be removed once the dungeon is exited.

 

 No way, she is not the rumored [Cursed card], and ...... it should be fine, right?

 But I didn't have the courage to ask the truth.

 

“Cough, well, enough of the jokes.

Now that I've decided to participate in the tournament, if possible, I want to do my best to win.”

 

“That’s fine with me. But don’t you have the option not to join in? Why don't you just ignore the guys in your class?"

 

"Well, it looks dangerous no matter how you look at it. But to be honest, the prize is very tempting."

 

I showed Renge the paper on which the info from the tournament website was printed.

 

“Let's see. The top four finalists will receive one of the 16 D-ranked cards. The winner receives a trophy and a female vampire. I see now ......”

 

“A female vampire is usually worth 70 to 80 million yen if you buy one. If it had been a male vampire, or a C rank card, I wouldn't have pushed myself to enter the competition.”

 

“If we win, we can move Eliza up in rank, right?”

 

“Yeah, I've been putting a lot of the burden on Eliza. I'd like to reward her here.”

 

 

"I'm weak when it comes to Eliza. OK, I will cooperate as much as possible."

 

"Ohh, thank you."

 

"So? Do you have a concrete plan?"

 

"Ah, let's start with the rules of the tournament..."

 

 I began to explain to Renge.

 

 The competition will be held in a tournament of elimination style, and [standard] rules will be applied to the match format.

 

There are three types of battles in MonColo: one-on-one (duels), three-on-three (standard), and (expert) rules in which dozens of decks are assembled to fight, with the [standard rules] being the most popular method.

 

 In [standard rules], players register a deck consisting of ten cards in advance. In one match, players choose three cards from the deck and fight. There is enough time for each match.

 Defeat is determined when the master receives a direct attack or loses all the cards on the field. If the game is not decided by the end of the match time, the winner will be determined by the number of surviving cards, and in the case of a tie, technical points will be decided by the referee.

 The only items that may be brought into the tournament are magical tools. However, they may only be used up to 5 times during the tournament. They may only be used during the match. Simply put, potions are allowed, but not the tear spray.

 

"Well, in this kind of tournament format, it is important to win without reducing the number of cards in your deck. It is also important to know when to bring out the main members of the deck."

 

"Currently, me, Yuki, and Eliza make up three cards. I think the point will be how to decide the remaining seven cards."

 

 ...... No, um, Renge-san. We have one more regular in our group, you know.

 

“There are only twenty days left until the tournament. As for me, I think it's tough to make all ten cards a force to be reckoned with. I'm going to train the initial three cards to the fullest and rank up the Imp to rank D. Then, I think it would be more realistic to fill in the rest with E-rank cards that have special tricks......”

 

“Hmmm......"

 

 Renge pondered for a moment at my words.

 

“You know, maybe we could sell Amrita to build up our forces?"

 

 Ah I see. Of course that question will come up.

 

No, I want to keep Amrita as insurance. In case that even one of you ever lost, I want to sell it so that I can revive you.”

 

 If I have 100 million yen, I could revive everyone, including Renge. This was the main reason I decided to participate in the tournament.

 But that's only if this is really Amrita.

 

 Although it would have been possible to find out in one shot with an appraisal, I had a sense of danger that I might lose someone, so I purposely decided not to do an appraisal.

 

“I see. ...... If that's the case, I ain't got nothing to say."

 

 After hearing my explanation, Renge simply withdrew.

 

 “All right, then, we're going to get busy. The goal is to complete at least five E-rank dungeons!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 From that day on, our days of furious dungeon capture began.

 

 I bought information on the dungeons from the guild in advance and chose E-rank labyrinths that were easy to conquer because of their relatively few floors.

 

 The reward for conquering an E-rank dungeon is 20,000 yen times the number of floors. The information fee is about 20,000 yen for a map, trap types, and information on monsters that appear. Even in the shallowest dungeon of 11 floors, a fixed salary of 200,000 yen is received per dungeon.

 

 I spent one day on weekends and two or three days on weekdays to conquer these shallow dungeons of 11 to 13 floors.

 

 I would ride on Yuki's back to save time and energy. Even so, the journey through the dungeons was difficult, and I found that fatigue gradually built up in my body, even though I was able to recover my strength with recovery magic.

 

 Meanwhile, word was gradually spreading at school that I was going to participate in the tournament.

 I could feel eyes on me when I was just walking down the hallways, and I could hear people whispering about me. I even had teachers telling me how much they were looking forward to it.

 

 Most of them were curious and supportive, but a small percentage was malicious.

 If I show an unsightly appearance at the tournament, their invisible malice will actually bare their fangs. The pressure seemed to be mounting on my shoulders.

 

 I was not at ease at school, and my exhaustion was accumulating.

 Seeing me like this, the eyes of my classmates gradually began to change.

 

 At first, they looked at me as if they were watching a guinea pig before an experiment or a clown before a stage performance, but gradually they began to look at me as if they were watching over me.

 

 The first people to approach me were the guys from the sports club, who taught me exercises, massages, what fruits to eat, and other things to help relieve fatigue.

 Apparently, they saw me overlapping with themselves at the moment when they were pushing themselves before a competition.

 

 The East-West duo also helped me out. They gathered information from the Internet on players who said they were going to participate in the tournament, and compiled it into a list along with other information such as what they had on hand.

 The information about my competitors, which had been unclear, gave me a clearer target. I was especially intrigued by the cards of those who were considered to be the favorites to win the tournament.

 

 In this way, I had broken through a total of nine E-rank dungeons by the time of the tournament. The total number of floors was 106. The reward for conquering the dungeons was 2,120,000 yen, and 1,940,000 yen4 after deducting the information fee.

 In addition, the magic stones and magic tools obtained along the way, as well as unnecessary cards, were sold together for 1,460,000 yen. Furthermore, the carbuncle garnet fetched 2.3 million yen.

 

 A total of 5.7 million yen. My total savings amounted to 6.6 million yen5.

 This was almost the same amount as the selling price of the card I was aiming for.

 

 The name of the card was [Empusa]. She is a dream demoness in Greek mythology, a beautiful woman with legs of copper, bat wings, and donkey’s tail.

 It is one of the most popular D-rank cards, just because it is in the same family as the Succubus. Thanks to this, it cost 6.5 million despite having no special skills as far as I was concerned.

 

 The reason I was trudging through the labyrinth at such a high pace was because I really wanted this card before the tournament.

 Empusa is one of the cards that enable imps to rank up.

 

 The three mainstay cards are too few to win the tournament. I really wanted to add one more card there.

 

 She who has synergy with Renge, our biggest fighting force......

 

 I decided to give her a name after she moved up in rank from Imp to Empusa.

 Her name is Mea. It's an old English word for dreamer. I had been thinking of various ways for the Imp to evolve, but since I decided to make her Empusa, I decided to name her accordingly, since she was determined to become a Succubus.

 

 This is her current status:

 

[Race] Empusa (Mea)

[Combat Power] 205 (65 UP!)

[Inborn Skills]

Sucking: She can absorb and store the target's magic and life force.

Invitation to Dream: Can use powerful sleep magic.

The three transformations: Can transform from a beautiful woman into a dog, cow, or donkey.

[Acquired Skills]

Little devil’s heart.

A single-minded heart.

Friendship linkage

Elementary wizard apprentice → Elementary wizard: Able to use all simple magic.

 

 Her combat power had already increased by 65 because she was able to inherit the combat skills she developed during her time as an imp. She also inherited all of her acquired skills, along with her innate skill of [Apprentice elementary wizard], and she was able to absorb the primary attack magic skills originally possessed by empusa and grow her skills further.

 

 To tell the truth, I tried to rank-up an appropriate F-rank card to an E-rank card before ranking-up Mea, but that one could neither carry over the combat power nor the acquired skills that I had raised at all.

 I had heard that the succession in rank-up depends on luck and the degree of use, but it seems that the degree of use is more important than I had expected.

 I will use this as a reference when ranking up other cards.

 

 Anyway, I have done all I can do.

 All that remained was to give it my all.

 

 And so the day of the tournament arrived.

 

 

 

 

 ---Monster Colosseum.

 

 It is a new sport in which adventurers fight each other using their cards.

 

 It all started when the Tokyo Dome was turned into a dungeon during the Second Angolmore.

 The Tokyo Dome has a very special structure for a dungeon, and only one dungeon boss emerges each day.

 Therefore, as long as it is defeated first, there is no problem to hold any events, but it is indeed impossible to hold events such as baseball in the dungeon, since the Tokyo Dome has turned into a huge box.

 

 As for baseball, a new dome was to be built, but the Tokyo Dome, one of the symbols of Tokyo, had to be put to good use somehow.

 The governor of Tokyo, who thought so, noticed that the Colosseum in Italy had also been turned into a dungeon, and so, in cooperation with the Guild, he transformed the Tokyo Dome into a Monster Colosseum.

 Although there was some criticism at first, this turned out to be a great success.

After all, the spectacle featured monsters that until a short time before had been considered imaginary.

 The scene of elves, dragons, and other fantastic creatures killing each other, sometimes in spectacular fashion, and sometimes with their fangs bared, sent people into a frenzy.

 

 "Gladiator", which is broadcasted regularly on TV and airs every Friday night at 9 p.m., has become a very popular program that continues to dominate the viewer ratings, partly because professional adventurers fight each other until they run out of cards.

 Adventurers whose lives revolve around colosseum matches are called 'gladiators', a name that even derives from the show.

 Other programs with different concepts, such as "Catfight", which is limited to girl monsters, and "Professional Champs", which is limited to three-star adventurers, are also aired regularly on different days of the week and at different times.

 

 The one I'll be in this time, [Gather around, student adventurers! Who is the supernova?], was also planned by "Professional Champs" for a Christmas special program.

 

 In terms of viewership, it was a behind the program of "Gladiator," but even so, it seems that it's attracting quite a bit of attention because it's a fairly aggressive project where high school students and younger fight each other to the death, albeit in card battles.

 

 A total of 68 students participated in this year's event for high school students and younger. The number of participants was reduced to this number as a result of students who announced their participation but did not show up on the day of the event or cancelled their participation midway.

 Considering the small number of high school students and younger adventurers, it can be said that a considerable number have gathered.

 

"..........................."

 

 On the day of the event. I was quietly waiting for my turn in a room at the Tokyo Dome Hotel.

 

 As one would expect from a Christmas special, the program had lavishly prepared a room in the Tokyo Dome Hotel for each of the players.

 I guess they didn't want to cause trouble by putting the players in the same room with each other.

 We were also participating in the event at the risk of losing our expensive cards, even though we were not paid for our performance. It would not be surprising if some of us would do whatever it takes to win the tournament or at least make it to the top four.

 

 In order to avoid the possibility of interference between players, the opponents are not even known until just before the match.

 Well, this was probably also because they were not sure if the competitors would actually show up until the day of the event, so it was not possible to decide in advance.

 

 Around this time, the artificial intelligence is probably creating exciting combinations based on the inputted data.

 

 I took out the cards I was going to use in the first round.

 The first card was Eliza.

 

[Race] Ghouler (Eliza)

[Combat Power] 200 (60UP! MAX!)

[Inborn skills]

Living corpse

Firefield's fool power

Corpse Eater

 

[Acquired skills]

Absolute obedience

Sexual skill

Pheromones

Ambush

Quiet mind

Protect

Precision movement: Enables more accurate movement.

Music performance (NEW!): Have a certain knowledge and skill in music performance techniques. When specific actions are taken, a positive compensation is given for the action

Trap Disarming (NEW!): Possesses certain knowledge and skills in trap disarming. When specific actions are taken, a positive compensation is given for the action.

 

 

 She has reached her growth limit in combat power and has acquired the skills of [Music performance] and [Trap disarming]. Although they are not skills that directly lead to fighting, her many skills were of great help in my high-paced dungeon exploration.

 

 In this tournament, where direct attacks can lead to immediate defeat, she will likely be a starter with her defensive skills.

 For the other two first cards, I chose the ones with excellent skills from among the E-rank cards.

 

[Race] Nightmare

[Combat power] 60

[Inborn skills]

Dreamer's Messenger: A dreamer's messenger. Able to use powerful magic power and life force absorption only on a sleeping target.

[Acquired Skills]

Presence blocking: Able to block out all signs of life.

 

[Race] Sandman.

[Combat power70

[Acquired skills]

Sleeping Sand: Sand that puts those it touches to sleep.

[Acquired skills]

Status ailments enhancement: Enhances status ailments.

Preemptive attack: Strong positive compensation for the first action.

 

 

 When I was clearing those E-rank dungeons, the most memorable enemy was this combination of Sandman and Nightmare.

 

 These guys had the most excellent acquired skills among them. This Sandman put Mea, who had just become an empusa, to sleep, and this Nightmare's [Presence blocking] could not be noticed except by Yuki.

 It is not a combination that could be used over and over again, but I saw it as a good enough first-time killer.

 

 In my head, I repeated the battle simulation over and over again.

 

 It was almost delusional since I did not know the strength of my opponent, but the purpose was to enable smooth action by imagining the most successful pattern over and over again.

 At that moment, a call came in on the room extension phone.

 

“Yes.”

“Kitagawa-san, please get ready for the upcoming match. The TV monitor will show you your opponent and directions to the venue.”

“I understand.”

 

 I hung up the phone and turned on the TV.

 My heart started pounding.

 

What kind of person would my opponent be?

 

“———— What!?”

 

 My eyes widened in astonishment when I looked at it.

 I couldn't believe my eyes and checked the contents over and over again.

 But no matter how much I checked, the reality remained the same.

 

 What was being displayed on the screen was ----“Minamiyama”.

 

 

[Tips] Card Rank Up

 Cards can be ranked up by preparing higher ranked cards. One of the advantages of upgrading a card is that it inherits the appearance, memory, and personality of the card you originally used. Also, depending on how much you use the card, it can also inherit its increased combat power and skills, but this also depends on luck. In order to rank up, the sacrificed card should be unused (initialized), of the same lineage, and of the same gender.

 

Example: Ghouler -> Vampire; Coosie -> Garm; Etc.

 

***

 

Notes:

-dai: An attachment to make the name seem more masculine

The same way D*raemon said it

Spells

Roughly 13800usd

Roughly 47000usd

 


Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me