Thursday, December 14, 2023

[LN] PAS : Volume 1 Chapter 2.4


Volume 1 Chapter 2.4

Secrets Told at the Fountain, Parties Won't Save Anyone Part 4



Translator : PolterGlast



It was not a good idea to run into her this early, but Jin had already missed his chance to leave this place.

He decided to hide behind the fountain for the time being, and there was no sign that the other party had noticed him. Nina sat down on the bench where Jin had been sitting earlier.

A ray of light from her moonlit eyes caught Jin's attention.

Is she crying, by any chance? Why?

She hugged her knees while staring dazedly at the fountain.

Her eyes, which had shone so sarcastically when she was in the front row of the auditorium and in the classroom, were now completely dull.

Nina pulled out a glittering object out of somewhere.

It was an expressionless frog doll, forcibly dressed in a gaudy suit decorated with sequins. Jin could not read much of the design intentions.

Nina, as expected, started talking to the doll.

 

"A~, I'm exhausted ....... I wonder why those bunch of elites love to party so much. Isn't it just a farce of social pleasantries with no substance? I was smiling so much I thought my facial muscles would cramp up."

 

Huh? Is she talking to someone?

Jin sneakily looked around, but as expected, Nina was the only one sitting on the bench.

 

"A~, gosh, I'm getting so fed up with all this nonsense. I'd rather be in my room reading a book than attending such a pointless gathering."

 

Perhaps feeling bad eavesdropping on this, he involuntarily backed away, which was so unusual of him to do so.

Nina reacted to the slightest noise and turned her head toward him.

 

"Hyah~!?"

 

Nina's eyes widened and she let out a small squeal. Her slender body was so bent over that she almost fell off the bench.

Feeling the need to explain himself, Jin emerged from the shadows of the fountain with the most cautious movements possible.

 

"...... Well, umm, I didn't mean to startle you."

"How, how long have you been there!?"

"I've been here since a while ago. You showed up out of the blue, so I hid myself on the spur of the moment."

"............Did you see?"

 

A dangerous girl appeared with tears in her eyes, talking to herself to an emotionless frog doll. No matter how one looks at it, this is an unbecoming appearance for a person with psychic abilities who is feared throughout the empire.

It was an incomprehensible situation, but at the very least, it was certain that there was no way that a half-baked lie would work.

 

"I saw it ...... but, don't worry. I won't tell anyone."

"Do you expect me to trust you?"

 

That being said, did Nina ever talk like this in the classroom?

Her current tone of voice is more befitting of a young lady from a prominent family.......

However, that's not what one should be thinking about right now.

No matter how weird things might be, it was a fact that Nina was among those who were exempted from the entrance exam. Clashing with her right now was not part of Jin's plan.

 

"What can I say, if you're having a hard time, you should talk to someone about it."

"...... it's none of your business."

"Well, that's for sure."

 

Should I just leave her be and go back to the dormitory?

Suddenly, such a thought came to his mind.

To begin with, he had not liked this girl from the first time he met her in front of the classroom building.

She was born with everything she should have, and she has a promising future ahead of her, but she walked with a downcast expression on her face, as if she was in a great deal of distress.

Her appearance seemed as if she was mocking the life that Jin had led up to this point in his life.

Jin was about to leave peacefully, but Nina's mutterings stopped him in his tracks.

 

"......Haa, why this guy of all people."

"What?"

"......It's nothing."

"If you have something to say, say it clearly."

 

I should make up a good reason and quickly walk away from this place.

I understand why my heart is frayed. But now I must remain calm.

 

"An ordinary person like you has nothing to do with this. What are you trying to do by getting involved with my affairs? If you are trying to win money from me, you are wasting your time and effort. So it would be wise for you to stop."

 

Before Jin knew it, Nina had returned to her usual overly polite tone.

As it was, she went on with a mechanical smile plastered on her face.

 

"Enough about this, may I ask for this poor man to quickly disappear? Come on, shoo-shoo~."

 

If it were the usual Jin, he would have been able to brush it off nicely.

He would simply shrug his shoulders lightly, then turn on his heel and walk back to the dormitory. It's a simple move that even a three-year-old could do.

But Nina's words touched a sensitive part of his inner being.

The dusty street, the stares of unknown adults, the freezing night to the core - memories that should have been erased from his brain began to come back to him vividly.

Once this happens, he can't hold back any longer.

 

"I'm just worried about you. You know, people often say that the Stingray family is full of monsters who don't have a human heart. I can imagine how hard it must be for you."

"What do you know about us Stingrays?"

"I've heard a lot of bad rumors about your brothers in the <White Knights>. Oh, by the way, is it true that your family uses the skulls of the people you kill as plates?"

"Instead of prying into my family environment, wouldn't it be better for you to think about your own life? Surely, you support your family with the monthly allowance that is provided to students here, right?

"That's exactly the kind of needless prying you are just talking about. Did I ever tell you such a private matter?"

"I can tell without asking. Just look at those cheap shoes you're wearing. It seems that you are forced to live a very poor life even though you have psychic abilities. Poor you."

"I'm not interested in fashion. Do you have a problem with it?"

"Hee. That kind of excuse is popular among the commoners, huh? I'm learning a lot."

"As I expected, the Stingray family's young lady is mentally strong. Normally, it would be too embarrassing to buy branded goods with the money earned from conflicts and assassinations."

 

There was no consideration for the other party, no roundabout metaphorical expressions.

Both sides' sharp words were relentlessly thrust at the places the other wanted to be touched the least.

 

"......Ah, geez! What does this have to do with my family?"

"Same goes for you. You have no right to tell me anything about my family."

"That's because you lashed out at me ......"

"You were the one who started it though."

"Haa? It all started because you were stalking me, remember?"

"Haa? Don't you dare insult my taste about women."

"Cut the crap, and just admit it. I won't report you."

"How overconfident can you be? As I explained to you earlier. It just happened to be here......."

"Then, explain to me what business you had in such a remote place."

"My father designed this fountain here. So I thought I'd come and check it out."

"Do you really think such a made-up story is going to work?"

"......Tsk, you're the one who followed me here in the first place, aren't you? You didn't want to admit that you are the stalker, so you panicked and framed me."

"Don't suddenly distort the truth on me. There's no way I would do something like that."

"Look, your breathing is getting faster. It's a sign that you're agitated. And you've been glancing your eyes down a lot, which is a classic sign of someone who's hiding something."

"Haaa~~!? That's nothing more than an accusation."

"There you go, [That's nothing more than an accusation]. This line is frequently used when someone with a guilty conscience is pressed for the facts. There's a recent research report by a professor at Livingstone University, would you like to hear more about it?"

"I've never heard of such a university though."

"It's natural since it's a foreign university. It's a pretty well-known thesis in the psychology community, so anyone with an ear for research usually knows about it."

"......Even if such a thesis really exists, I'm still not a stalker."

"Oh, really? So the young lady of the Stingray family is denying a noble field of science?"

"Wait a minute! Why has the subject suddenly changed!?"

"Come on, just apologize. You won't have to pay me any compensation if you apologize now."

"Gosh, you're the one who should apologize! Do you think you'll be okay if I raise my voice here?"

"......This bastard is finally resorting to her last resort."

"Come on, hurry up. And make sure to take out all the photos you took."

"Damn it, don't fuck with me, you heretic."

"Don't use such foul language on me. Besides, you're a psychic, as well, aren't you?"

"You're noisy ...... Besides, I'm not interested in you at all. I don't even want anything to do with you ever again."

"What an unusual thing for me to agree with you. I found you an eyesore, as well."

"That's good to hear. If you see me in class, could you please not talk to me?"

"No-no, that would be too lenient for you."

 

Nina went on with the coldest smile on her face.

 

"There are ways to expel either one of us from the school, you know?"

 

A <duel> with all their points on the line ────.

Nina's words were tantamount to a declaration of war.

Of course, no matter how he looked at it, Jin had no chance of winning. Nina, who was exempted from the entrance exam, had 1000 points, whereas Jin had only 95 points, including the points he earned from Tedd in the <Screening Test>.

In this case, it would be impossible to make even a proper wager.

 

"You got a really short fuse, huh? This is why your Stingray family is poorly regarded, you guys are so eager to get into a fight like this. ......"

"Are you scared?"

 

Nina smiled the kind of smile she would give to an impertinent child and continued.

 

"I don't mind if calling it off, you know? Even if my opponent is a creepy stalker, it would be a little unbearable to kill someone without a second thought."

 

If he backed down now, Jin's reputation would plummet to the ground.

Jin no longer had the option of retreating.

 

"......All right, bring it on."

"Are you sure you won't regret it? If you want to quit, now is the time."

"Thank you for your concern. But don't worry, I've got a plan to defeat you."

"Hee~...... Well, I won't go easy on you."

"That's my line. Let's do the <duel> in two days."

"I'm ready to go right now."

"No, no, don't act tough on me. You actually need to prepare yourself, don't you?"

"Well, if you say so. It can't be helped then, I'll give you two days."

 

Their gazes collided with each other's, and their anger and frustration created a chemical reaction that produced sparks. By the time such a vision appeared, Jin already wanted to yell at himself for his thoughtlessness.

He could no longer back away now.

Several students who had heard their quarrel had surrounded the fountain before they knew it.

Word of the duel between Nina, one of the most famous students in the school, and an unknown person from the East would spread throughout the school in no time.

With onlookers beginning to make noise in the background, Nina Stingray turned to Jin with a smile as if she were confident of victory.

 

End of Chapter 2

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

Aiden Elliott

Marvin Sanchez

Matthew Shuler

Swagaraga


[Gold]

Godman gaming


[Silver]

Adrian Betancourt

ArUnInAcTiOn

CoolmanMTD

Daniel Saldana

Glasses Kun

Nazmun Saikat

Thiago Leite Denedai

Zyran


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Ctdela

Curious Panda

Duncan Rodgers

Freyja Bjarnadóttir

Muzic Yasko

XXX Demon Hunter XXX

Стас Удрис


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----


<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me