Monday, September 4, 2023

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 26

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #26

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Idle Talk: There's no escaping the ...... tax!

 

 

 

 The day after Valentine's Day.

 I was at home in my living room looking at yesterday's spoils.

 On the table was a huge pile of valentine's day chocolates.

 The number of chocolates was probably between ten and twenty.

 I still can't believe ...... that the day when I get this many chocolates will come.

 The sad part is that ...... all of them are 'giri' (obligatory) chocolates.

 

 At that moment, a shadow popped out from the side of the table.

 A plump labrador retriever. It was my dog, Maru.

 He sniffed and tried to put his face in the chocolate on the table.

 

"No, no, no! Maru, you can't!"

 

 Then I hurriedly pushed Maru's snout back.

 It was common knowledge among dog-owning households that you shouldn't let your dog eat chocolate.

 

So, of course, I'm careful not to let Maru have any chocolate for that reason, but this stupid dog, I don't know what he thought, but whenever he saw chocolate, he would try to bite it no matter what.

 

 Perhaps he thought, "That food that the masters keep all to themselves must be so delicious that they don't want me to eat it!".

 

 As a result, this idiot dog had never eaten chocolate, but he really loved it, which was something I don't understand.

 

...... is he suicidal?

 

 As I was wrestling with Maru that was trying to rob me of my chocolate,

 

"Good morning. What are you doing over there?"

 

 My dad came down from upstairs. He looked at the pile of chocolates on the table and his eyes widened.

 

"Hoh, are those chocolates? Could it be, from Valentine's Day?"

 

"Uh, um, well, yeah..."

 

"My, aren't you popular? I can't believe my son is so charming. When I was a student, I was not popular at all. Maybe I was born in the wrong era?"

 

 My father said to me with a smirk and added a laugh, which made me frown.

 

"It's not that I'm popular. It's just for fun and to cheer us up. And there was never a time in the past or future when our kind of faces were popular."

 

 My father's face and mine were the same: unremarkable, mob face.

 The only difference was that he had beautiful double eyelids and kind eyes. Other than that, he looked exactly like me, thirty years later. I was totally like my father.

 

"I see...... Well, don't worry, a man is not about face. It's money and education. Your mom chose me because of my income and my easy-going personality."

 

 I didn't know what to say to my father who said such a sad thing with his chest puffed out.

 

 By the way, my mother is quite beautiful, even coming from a son like me.

 She and my father were almost ten years apart in age, and she looked quite young for her age, so when she and my father stood side by side, they looked more like father and daughter than husband and wife.

 

 My old man is still in awe of his pretty wife even after more than a decade of marriage, and he treated her like a princess. He never complains even if he had to give her an allowance of 10,000 yen a month.

 

 It should be noted that Ai completely resembled our mother, and only her eyes resemble our father's.

 

 Ai got all the excellent parts of both of our parents. While I am a combination of the mediocre parts of both of our parents.

 

 The heartless old ladies in the neighborhood would say things like, "It's a good thing your brother took the unwanted bits first."

 

 If I had been the younger brother instead of the older brother, I would have been called a 'dried up'.

 

"...By the way, Utamaro. I'd like to talk to you about your job."

 

 My father's face suddenly turned serious, and I became a little nervous.

 

 My parents were not very fond of my profession as an adventurer, which was full of danger, and they always tried to persuade me to retire from the business.

 

 Seeing me like this, my father chuckled.

 

"Oh, there's no need to be so uptight. After seeing the tournament and your recent hard work, we decided to watch over you for a while. Well, if you get hurt or anything, I'll have you quit immediately.

 

"You- you mean it......?"

 

"Yeah, it looks like you have some dependable friends. So, here's the thing......."

 

"Hmm......?"

 

 When I sat back down in my chair, my father seemed more serious than ever.

 

"...... You, are you sure you're ready to file your tax return?"

 

"........................... Huh?

 

 I couldn't help but tilt my head at my father's words.

 

 

 

 

 

 Being an adventurer is a full-fledged profession.

 It basically involved going into the dungeons and earning an income by selling the things you find there, making it classified as a primary industry.

 

 Although those who mainly make a living by playing games, such as Moncolo, were treated under the tertiary industry, the basic job was to dive into the dungeons and gather resources.

 

 As long as there was income, there would naturally be taxes involved.

 Taxes...... was a word that may not be familiar to students.

 

 Even if they earn money from a part-time job, they usually don't have a sense that they are paying taxes because their employer will do the year-end settlement on their behalf.

 

 However, it was a different story for adventurers, who were not employed by anyone.

 

 Adventurers are self-employed.

 They must do the calculations themselves and file their own tax returns to the tax office. There were two types of tax returns, white and blue1, and adventurers are required to file the latter.

 I was oblivious, but it seemed that the documents I submitted when I became an adventurer included the blue tax return form as well.

 

 If I don't complete the blue tax return, ......I will be going through hell.

 

 The basis of taxes was that it was multiplied by income. Income was defined as earned revenue minus expenses and deductions.

 However, if you do not file a tax return, the tax office simply charged tax based on last year's income.

 

 For example, in my case, I earned almost 8 million yen last year.

 Then, if you ask me how much I have left, it was almost zero

 

 This was because I blew it all on buying cards and magic items, converting magic item into card, and so on.

 Since these were necessary for my adventures ......, i.e., for my work, they were naturally recognized as expenses.

 

 So, no matter how much revenue I earn, my income was close to zero, so I don't really have to pay any taxes on it.

 However, if I do not file a tax return and cannot prove my expenses, my revenue will be considered as my income, and I will have to pay taxes on the entire 8 million yen.

 

 The tax on income below 9 million is a whopping 23%. …I will have to pay taxes that are too terrifying to calculate.

 

It seemed that every year, student adventurers who do not fully understand the tax return process and skip the filing process end up receiving a frightening visit from the tax bureau.

 

 Therefore, every adventurer MUST file a tax return.

 

 I panicked for a moment when I learned that I needed receipts to file my tax return, but to my relief, I had left a large number of receipts in my wallet.

 I had a bad habit of stuffing the receipts I get into my wallet, and that proved to be a good thing.

 

 The following was a general outline of the tax return I filed following my father's explanation.

 

Results for year 2018】(Amounts less than 10,000 yen are not calculated)

Adventurer's income 7,870,000 yen (sale of magic stones, etc.) - Expenses (information fee 290,000 yen, card purchase cost 7,500,000 yen (6,500,000 yen empusa + 1,000,000 yen card pack), cost of converting magic item to a card 1,000,000 yen, adventurer supplies 50,000 yen, transportation expenses 10,000 yen, miscellaneous expenses 20,000 yen) = 0 yen

Part-time job (tax withheld) - Deduction 1,030,000 yen (basic deduction of 380,000 yen + deduction for employment income of 650,000 yen) = 0 yen

 

......At least, I don't have to pay taxes this year.

 

 I breathed a sigh of relief.

 

 The wide range of expenses for adventurers helped me a lot.

By the way, the most expensive thing I got this past year was the vampire card, but I didn't have to pay any taxes on it.

 Prizes given through TV or sweepstakes were taxed if they exceeded a certain amount, but there was no tax on the cards as long as you actually earned them.

 

 This was done in consideration of the fact that cards to adventurers are like fishing boats to fishermen and tractors to farmers, whereas they cannot be replaced in any way.

 Adventurers would go bankrupt if they had to pay taxes on each and every card they acquire, which they could lose as early as tomorrow.

 Therefore, no tax is imposed on cards obtained at tournaments.

 Of course, the money you get from selling these cards does have to be taxed.

 

"If you're serious about being an adventurer, next year you're going to have to start doing it yourself. If your revenue is going to be too big, it might be a good idea to consult with a tax accountant. There are a lot of tricks out there, you know."

 

"........................"

 

 There was a time when I thought... that being an adventurer was a dream job, free from all kinds of restrictions, full of fantasy, and attracts a lot of girls.

 

 But in reality, it was quite rough and tedious, and although it may look like it attracts girls, in reality, it's all about the money.

 You can't really get the girl of your dreams, the actual income is not that much because of the expenses, there is a risk of death, and above all, you still can't escape from the devil's hand called tax.

 

.................. I guess being an adventurer is a surprisingly dreamless profession.

 

 I am now one step closer to adulthood.

 

 

 

TipsExpenses for Adventurers

 

 The range of expenses acceptable for adventurers is very wide. The cost of purchasing cards, most magic items, the cost of converting items to cards, the cost of purchasing motorcycles and cars, and even the cost of purchasing food are all recognized expenses.

 

 However, this acceptable purchase of cards and magic items is only if they are purchased from the guild or an authorized store.

 

 Cards obtained through individual transactions are not considered an expense. This is because it is impossible to prove that the card was really bought or whether they claimed to have bought something they obtained on their own.

 ......Such is the pretext, but it is in fact one of the measures taken to reduce the exchange of cards and magic items outside of the guild.

 

 The guild's stance is that they don't prohibit exchanges not made through the guild, but they will not be involved in any problems caused by it and they don't have any idea about the taxes incurred by it.

 

 

***


 Notes:

A tax return prepared based on the financial statements is named as “blue tax return” and the one prepared based on the breakdown of revenue and expense is called “white tax return”.

 


Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me