Monday, October 2, 2023

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 30

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #30

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 30: Synchro Link

 

 

 

 In the forest at night, lit only by moonlight. I could feel the breath of countless beasts mingling with the chirping of insects and the faint smell of blood.

 

 We had moved to the bottom floor, and what greeted us was the thick, skin-tangling murderous intent of countless beasts.

 

 I smiled slightly to myself. If it had been the me who had just started out as an adventurer, I would have been intimidated by the oppressive atmosphere.

 

 But lately, this stuffy atmosphere had... even made me feel like I'm back in my 'natural habitat'.

 

 I wondered if I was gradually becoming more of an adventurer.

 

 I reconnected the Links that had been broken by the space transfer.

 

 My consciousness became connected to invisible lines, and my senses began to expand.

 

 When I opened my eyes, the forest was so dark that I couldn't even see my own hands, but it had changed to a somewhat dim vision.

 

 I shared the vision of Eliza, a vampire, via the Link.

 

 As I did so, I also added the visions of the other cards. Mea was casting night vision magic on each of us.

 

 In less than a minute, we had become a single being with numerous visions bound together.

 

"Okay, let's go."

 

 The moment we stepped out of the safe area near the stairs, the monsters pounced on us like dogs released from a 'wait' command.

 

 Gigantic jet-black dogs that blended into the darkness of the night...the D-rank monster Laelaps. It is the hound of the goddess Artemis, renowned for its anecdote that it will not let its intended prey escape.

 

 Since it was a hunting dog, I had imagined it to be greyhound-like, but seeing it myself, it actually had a muscular mastiff-like body with a physique similar to that of a horse.

 

 In other words, it was a monster without a shred of cuteness.

 

 The Laelaps jumped all at once.

 

"Kyahaha, this way, oh demons~!"

 

 The Laelaps, who had targeted me (the weakest part of this group) on wild instinct, suddenly change their direction in unison.

 

 The target was a red-haired beauty ......Suzuka, who clapped her hands in a taunting manner. She gathered the hate of her enemies with her [Blindfold Demon] skill.

 

 Four demon dogs rushed to eat the fleshy limbs.

 

"Kyahahaha......!"

 

 Suzuka, with a crooked smile on her face and bright eyes, welcomed the Laelaps. While dodging enemy attacks with quick movements, she knocked Laelaps down or blew them away with monstrous strength that was unimaginable from her slender arms.

 

 This was the feat of her fearsome martial arts skills, which she fully utilizes to her full advantage.

 

 The Laelaps, who were knocked down and full of gaps, were finished off one by one by my cards.

 

 Yuki ripped off a head with a single bite, and Eliza gouged out a heart with her bare hands. Renge and Mea flew above, keeping a watchful eye on their surroundings and providing a bird's eye view of the battlefield.

 

(Master, looks like we have a second serving!)

 

 When the fifth Laelaps had just been taken care of, a message came to me from Mea. I looked and saw that about six more were approaching here.

 

Renge.

 

Okay, okay.

 

 With Renge's reply, the Laelaps who had been heading this way stopped in their tracks. Screams were heard following suit.

 

"Gang! Kuhn...!"

 

 It was similar to the butcher-bird's prey impaled on twigs, thorns, etc. for later consumption.

 

 Countless spears of rock suddenly appeared from the ground, piercing the Laelaps from below. The miserable demon dogs were swinging their legs in the air and vomiting blood.

 

 It was Renge's mid-grade attack magic, Earth Spears.

 

 Even the ones that were lucky enough to avoid it were having their heads blown off by the subsequent attacks of Mea, Renge, and the others.

 

"Ok, it's done here. Let's go."

 

 We took care of those Laelaps in a matter of seconds, collected the drop items as if nothing had happened, and moved on.

 

 We had fought them dozens or even hundreds of times before. We felt no sense of accomplishment after having eliminated so many of them.

 

 Rather, I felt a sense of growth in the fact that my brain was no longer burdened by this level of combat.

 

 --The first stage of the Link: telepathy. It is the ability to share sensations, emotions, and thoughts with your cards.

 

 In the past few months, I had become fully proficient in this first stage of the Link.

 

 I can share sensations for hours at a time, and my consciousness can keep up with the battle speed of the cards, which is many times faster than that of humans.

 

 Well, anything more than that is something I'm still practicing.......

 

“Aooooooooooooooooooo!”

 

 As we proceeded through the forest and turned the attacking hounds into corpses one after another, a roar that shook the entire forest suddenly resounded through the air.

 

 It seemed that the boss here had reached the end of its patience due to the constant ringing of its subordinates' death throes.

 

"Renge, it's about time. Counting on you."

 

"Ou."

 

 A divine light illuminated the forest at night, and the mischievous Zashiki-warashi transformed into a goddess of beauty and fortune.

 

"Bless you, my Master."

 

 Together with the charming smile of the beautiful heavenly maiden, a warm light enveloped me. I experienced a sense of purification in every corner of my body. I feel elated, like I can do anything. I feel like I can even defeat the boss with my own hands......

 

 I managed to suppress such a sense of almightiness, akin to pride, and I stared ahead.

 

 A huge figure, more than three meters tall, like a small mountain, emerged while knocking down the surrounding trees.

 

 It was a wolf-headed giant. Its mouth, which was slit open to the ears, was so large that it could easily eat my head whole, and it was lined up with sharp teeth. The claws on its arms were more appropriately described as large knives.

 

“Gururu, guooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!”

 

With a roar that would have made my ears go deaf if it weren't for the barrier, I pulled out Renge and Eliza's cards from my pocket.

 

 Now, which one should I go with this time?

 

 

 

 

 

[Race] Kisshouten (Renge)

[Combat Power] 1200

 

[Inborn Skills]

· Kisshouten's mantra: Allows the use of the Kisshouten authority of beauty, wealth, fertility, and good fortune.

· Dual Goddess: Can borrow the power of another deity, also known as a changeling, and transform into them.

·Rain of Amrita: Allows the descent of the rain of Amrita, the elixir of immortality. However, it has no rejuvenating (youthful) effect. It contains a high level of recovery magic.

 

[Acquired skills]

Spiritual recurrence

Free-spiritedness

Advanced attack magic (CHANGE!)

Chant discard (CHANGE!)

Magic recovery

Friendship linkage

Advanced status ailment magic

Hide and Seek

 

 

 

 

[Race] Vampire (Eliza)

[Combat Power] 840 (420 UP! MAX!)

 

[Inborn Skills]

• Plaster of Blood: Sap the target's blood and convert it into power. By consuming blood, the body can be regenerated and strengthened. The more blood stored, the higher the effect. It has resistance to status ailments.

• Monsters of the Night: Can transform into a bat, wolf, fog, etc. During the night, unless the head and heart are crushed, this monster will not vanish. This skill is disabled for a certain period of time when exposed to sunlight or holy light.

• Intermediate Attack Magic

 

[Acquired skills]

Absolute obedience

Sexual Skill + Performance + Trap Disarming → Multiple Skills (CHANGE!): Proof of having acquired numerous skills. Increased acquisition rate of technical skills. Includes sexual skill, music performance, trap disarming, etiquette (NEW!), and martial arts (NEW!).

Pheromones

Ambush

Quiet mind

Protect

Precision movement

Intermediate Auxiliary Magic (NEW!)

Magic Enhancement (NEW!): Enhances the power of magic.

Chant shortening (NEW!)

 

 

 

 As one would expect, when looking at it this way, Renge is overwhelming as a force. Her combat power exceeds 1,000 and her skills are tremendous.

 

 That aside, Eliza's growth is also impressive. Without a doubt, she is the one who has grown the most in the past few months.

 

 Her only and biggest drawback, her combat power problem, had been resolved, and many of her skills had been transferred, making Eliza the ace of our party, both in name and in reality.

 

 In terms of instantaneous combat power .... Renge, with her [Spiritual recurrence], is superior to Eliza, but in terms of stability, Eliza is the better of the two.

 

 I want the ace to be useful in every possible way. In that sense, Renge is closer to a joker than an ace.

 

 ......Okay, I've made up my mind.

 

I'm going with Eliza this time.

 

Understood, leave the sidekicks to us.

 

 After a brief exchange of thoughts, I focused my attention on Eliza.

 

 I only lightly connected my senses with the other cards, and I put most of my awareness on Eliza.

 

 It was as if I became Eliza and Eliza became me.

 

 ----The second step of the Link, synchronization. The technique of putting the master's consciousness on the card.

 

 My whole body was filled with power. A sense of oneness, akin to accomplishment, ran through me from my toes to the top of my head.

 

 With a grin, 'I/Eliza' rushed off toward the raging werewolf.

 

 In an instant, she ducked under the lycanthrope's feet and then launched a kick into the back of its knee.

 

 The werewolf lost its posture as its knee was devastated by the crippling blow.

 

 As the head came down to a perfect position, she slammed a palm strike right there.

 

 A roaring like two steel frames striking each other rang out.

 

 Before the result was even confirmed, she unleashed the magic she had been chanting. Intermediate attack magic: Lightning.

 

 The electric charge released in a fan shape burned the lycanthrope's entire body.

 

"Grawr ......!"

 

 The lycanthrope let out a cry of anguish. ...... That means it's still alive. Dead bodies do not suffer after all.

 

 And then, the pair of feral eyes locked on. The glare could easily stop an old man's heart.

 

 But that doesn't shake the [Quiet mind] of 'I/Eliza'.

 

 The lycanthrope counterattacked. But the claw strike that cuts even a large tree in two was deflected as if it was being swatted away.

 

 The skill of [Multiple skills: Martial Arts] gave her the best form suitable for her.

 

 Just by following the flashes of inspiration in my/her mind and moving her body, I/she temporarily became a master of martial arts.

 

 The discrepancy between the imagery and the actual movement was filled in by the [Precision movement] skill.

 

 I/she unleashed a swift punch in a counter move to the werewolf, which had left a deep scar on the ground.

 

 With a thump, her right hand pounded as vigorously as her beating heart.

 

 My/her arm pierced deep into the lycanthrope's eye, and then into its brain.

 

 ---- Now.

 

 My and Eliza's consciousness neatly rode up to the tips of our fingers. The energy flowed from "I/Master" to "I/Eliza" and the excess energy burst out as a red aura. With that momentum, the lightning was unleashed.

 

"■■■■■■■■■■■----!"

 

 The werewolf burned by the lethal electric current through the skull made an inaudible death cry.

 

 Was it its last struggle, or was it a physical reaction to the electric current? As the werewolf jerked its head to the side, the joints of her arm made a nasty sound. If this continues, it will take her arm with it, so she quickly transformed into mist.

 

 As soon as she did this, the synchronization between me and Eliza was broken with the sensation of a circuit breaker going off with a bang.

 

 My human brain could not tolerate the impossible sensation of having my body turn into fog.

 

 I clicked my tongue and regained my composure. Oh well. It's over now.

 

 Ahead my line of sight, the lycanthrope toppled over with a crashing sound like a large tree falling down.

 

 Gradually, its body faded away, and there remained a magic stone and a card.

 

Good! A card fell! Now, the result is---?!

 

"No good......."

 

 When I saw the card depicting a sharp-eyed, handsome man, I sagged.

 

 I was happy ...... that a card dropped, but I couldn't help but feel a sense of 'this isn't it' when I thought that it wasn't a monster girl card.

 

 I know it's a luxury but.......

 

 Eliza came to me with a subtle look on her face, and bowed her head for some reason,

 

"Sorry, the synchronization was broken."

 

"No, that was my mistake. It's hard for humans to comprehend what it's like to be a fog."

 

 Synchronization was a technique to control the cards by putting one's will on the cards.

 

 This allowed the cards to act in a much more intricate manner than with telepathic instructions.

 

 On the other hand, however, it was also difficult to adapt to physical changes that were not feasible with the human body.

 

 For example, in the case of a beast-type monster or a monster whose body is partially made of another creature, it was often much more effective to leave the movement to the cards.

 

 Yet, this was only the most basic aspect of synchronization.

 

 The essence of this technique was to unleash the true power of the card.

 

 Usually, cards were said to be able to demonstrate only about 50% of their power.

 

 This was because half of the card's power was always used as a barrier for the master.

 

 Synchronization was a technique that returned the energy used for the barrier to the card, thereby lifting the limitation on the card's ability to fight.

 

 The sharing of consciousness was just a byproduct or a bonus of that.

 

......Naturally, this had a drawback in that the master's barrier would be thinner.

 

 Therefore, the improvement of combat power through synchronization was usually treated as a trump card when the situation calls for it.

 

 The exception was the Colosseum, where the master was protected by magic items. And 'masters' said that if one could not master synchronization, they would not even be able to fight here.......

 

 Synchronization was considerably more difficult than telepathy, and I, for example, could only synchronize with one card at a time, and I was only able to free 70 to 80% of their power.

 

 I have heard that if you are an expert, you can use synchronization on the whole party.

 

 ...... The more I learn about the techniques related to the cards, the more I realize the greatness of the 'masters'.

 

 I realized that I was lucky to have won the tournament.

 

"Well, then, let's open the disappointment box and go home. ...... can't expect much, though."

 

 Renge's blessing was like the advancement of luck. If a card didn't drop, the disappointed box would be a bit more likely to show some hits, but on the other hand, when a card did drop, the contents of the box were always something rather iffy.......

 

 I guess everyone knew this, as there wasn't much of an atmosphere of expectation.

 

 However,

 

"Oh, a magic card!"

 

 What was in the box was a [Distress] magic card.

 

 A magic card was a card-type magic item that allowed even a human to use magic for a single time only.

 

 Although there was a limitation that it can only be used in the dungeons, it was a popular magic item because it allowed even humans to use magic, thus broadening the range of strategies.

 

 [Distress] was a magic that was the backward counterpart of [Transfer], or rather, the exact opposite of it, as it could randomly transfer the user to a floor he or she had not yet visited.

 

 When you enter a dungeon for the first time and find it troublesome to go through the first floor, you may want to try your luck and see if you can jump to a deeper floor. The card was often used as a light test of luck.

 

 Despite the fact that it was not a very useful magic, it was not included in the magic skills of monster cards, and the probability of it dropping from the dungeon was low, so the card that was treated as a crap magic card by adventurers was priced at the same amount as the more useful [Transfer] card.

 

 However, this was only the case for those who bought it. For those who obtained it on their own, it was a lucky item that sold for a reasonable price.

 

"Wah! It's a hit, master!"

 

"Oh, oh!"

 

 Yuki was delighted, but I couldn't rejoice.

 

 Because I was feeling a little too lucky.......

 

 In addition to the drop of a C rank card, there was also a magic card that can be sold for a lot of money. I was afraid of a reversal of fortune.

 

"Hoh, this is..."

 

 Renge, who peeked at the card from behind, muttered meaningfully.

 

"Wh- what is it?"

 

"Well......"

 

 As my face twitched, Renge gave me a very mysterious smile.

 

"It seems that ...... this year won't be too boring, Master."

 

 

 

[Tips] Telepathy and Synchronization

 

 The technique of sharing sensations and emotions between a master and a card is called telepathy in the Link. Telepathy is the most basic of all Link techniques, but by deepening it further, it becomes possible to convey not only emotions and sensations, but also the Master's own consciousness onto the cards. This is the second stage of the Link, synchronization.

 

 Once the master and the card are in sync, the master is able to channel the energy from the barrier that protects them to the card. This allows the monster, which normally produces only half of its output due to the maintenance of the barrier, to display their true power.

 

 This is an extremely useful technique. Some adventurers say that once they have mastered telepathy and synchronization, they do not need other forms of linkage.

 

 

***

 

Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon(Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

Support Me