Saturday, May 8, 2021

[Proofread Version] Ori of the Dragon Chain : Ch 1 Part 1

Ori of the Dragon Chain

Translator : PolterGlast

Editor : Karlsen

Proofreader : Karlsen

 

Chapter 1 – Part 1

Editor’s Note: I’ll be using “-“ as spacing between scenes where the POV remains the same. I’ll be using “-/(POV)/-“ as spacing between scenes where the POV does shift.

Solminati Academy, a place where youngsters from all around the continent gather. It’s an academy filled with dreams, hopes, and ambitions. The academy is based on a rather simple principle – meritocracy. It’s a merciless place if you cannot achieve satisfactory results. Those who do, are respected. Those who don’t, will be dismissed. As I, Nozomu Bountis, was relaxing on a sunny roof, I was recalling my experience with Solminati Academy so far.

Editor’s Note: “Meritocracy is a system in which people are chosen and moved into positions of success, power, and influence on the basis of their demonstrated abilities and merit” – Merriam Webster. Basically, your performance is the deciding factor for how you are treated.

I arrived at this school two years ago with my two childhood friends; Ken Notis - my best friend since we were little -, and Lisa Hounds; my lover. Lisa was a true beauty, with her red coloured ponytail as her trademark.

I still remember the day I met her vividly. I had recently turned eight, and as I was fishing in a river close to our village, a girl with short, red hair approached me.

“H- Hello! Are you free right now?”

As I looked at who had spoken, I became momentarily dazed. Her blushed expression and shy gaze captivated me. I think I fell in love with her at that exact moment.

We started talking, and she told me about herself. Her family used to move a lot, and her parents moved around a lot between many different countries. However, when her father died, her mother decided to return to this village and settle down so she could raise Lisa properly. She told me she looked up to her father, and that her father had been an adventurer. Adventurers are exactly what one would think they are; pioneers who discover new lands and face extreme danger on a constant basis.

At the time, I had no real desire to become an adventurer, or go on an adventure. However, since I was a child, and a boy no less, I was fascinated by tales of heroes of the old. That’s why the tales Lisa shared of her father entranced me. The stories of heroes we told one another was the cause for losing the track of time. We ended up speaking till the evening, even though it was only our first meeting.

As time progressed, we eventually became lovers. At one point, Lisa told me her dream; she wanted to attend Solminati Academy. The underlying motivation behind this decision was that she wanted to follow in her father’s footprints; she wanted to become an adventurer and see the world in the same way her father did. As she finished explaining her reasoning to me, she showed hesitance, and waited for my reaction. At that very moment, I decided to attend Solminati Academy with her so I could support her dream. My motivation was extraordinarily strong at that time, with my love for her as my main incentive. I vowed in my heart at that time to help Lisa attain her goal.

As I told her my decision, she started tearing up.

“You would do that for me?” she asked with a shaky and quiet voice.

“If the girl I love wants to make her dream come true, I will support it will all I’ve got” I responded resolutely.

She gave me a large hug, and her eyes were screaming joy. She sniffled into my chest as I held around her.

She sniffled out some faint words “Thank you Nozomu… I’m happy… very much so” as she tightened her hug around me.

-

I was abruptly awoken from my daydreams as the school bell rang, indicating the end of the lunch break. I sighed softly and got up, brushing away any dust that had accumulated. I set course for the afternoon class I needed to attend, as my thoughts were forcefully cut off from the vow I could no longer fulfil.

I attend the 10th class, which is incidentally the lowest ranked class in the 2nd year. Among the class, I am at rock bottom, and an easy target for bullies. As I entered the classroom, only contempt and ridicule from my fellow classmates greeted me.

I heard various whispering and snickering as I found my seat.

“He’s here again, the lowest.”

“I wish he would just disappear.”

“Why doesn’t he just drop out already?”

Those heartless voices shook my heart with fear, and a nasty feeling started blossoming in my stomach. I attempted to not let it show on the outside as I ignored everyone. The moment I sat down at my seat, three of my least liked classmates approached me and gathered around my seat.

“For what purpose did you come here?” Mars, the leader and large man in the middle said with contempt and sarcasm, almost as if he was genuinely confused.

His two henchmen snickered, then followed it up with a ridiculing tone,

“I wish you’d just give up already, don’t you realize it’s futile?”

“The fact that you even think you’re on the same level as us is repulsive.”

Mars looked around, making sure people were paying attention to the little scene he was causing.

“Oh, got nothing to say, huh? Makes sense. After all, he was abandoned by the Red-Haired Princess. Shouldn’t he stop daydreaming already?” Mars laughed.

Mars’s laugh created a domino effect, and soon enough nearly everyone in the class was laughing along with his mockery.

As I continued to look down, ignoring all. Mars got increasingly annoyed, he slammed his palm down on my desk and spoke calmly with disdain “Hey, are you going to continue to ignore us? Are you going to continue to ignore reality?”

I was biting my lips in anger, as the teacher finally arrived. “What exactly do you think you’re doing?”

Mars and his goons turned around, and responded with a chuckle “Nothing, just having a little chat with Nozomu here.”

Our teacher stood silently looking at the three, before taking his place in front of the classroom.

The teacher began his long-winded lecture, “So as you all know, magic is the process of coarsening one’s own mental power. By continuously fortifying your mental strength, you can eventually manifest different elements. Magic can be used for many things, you can strengthen your body, you can affect the world around you, […]”

My thoughts drifted, and I started thinking about what Mars had said to me a moment ago. I was reminded of the painful scene when Lisa dumped me. Her face at that moment brought shivers to my body, I could still hear her words which were full of disgust when she ended it all.

Lisa received the Red-Haired Princess as a nickname due to her excellent abilities and appearance. She is both respected and looked up upon. It is the opposite for me, however. My appearance is normal, lacking a distinct feature like Lisa. My grades are terrible, and instead of being respected, I’m disrespected and looked down upon. It does make sense that I’ve become a target for others though, considering I was dating Lisa who people consider to be the complete opposite of myself. It’s almost obvious that I’d become a target for jealousy and hatred the moment she broke up with me. In addition to all of this, all the friends I thought I had, turned on me when we split up.

I’m not sure how I ended up like this, nor am I sure what I could’ve done to prevent it, but I’m certain one of the main reasons for it was due to my inability to progress any further. My progress was steady when I first started out at this academy, though admittedly, it was slow. Nevertheless, I persisted. At one point however, I hit a wall, and I had yet to overcome it. It feels like there were chains locking me down in place, refusing to let me advance any further.

I was lonely, though I continued to persist. I took my classes seriously, and I did not lack self-discipline. I was still working to keep the vow I had made, though I was unsure if I would ever fulfil it.

This was how I was living for a short while. Yet, as if the world hadn’t been cruel enough to me, I learned later that Lisa had started dating our best friend from childhood, Ken Notis. As I watched them during training, I realized that they were incredible together. It was with a sour heart that I had to admit that they showed amazing teamwork when they beat other pairs in 2v2 mock battles. I bit my lip and was forced to understand the fact that I had no place next to her, nor her heart.

-

After the lecture in the classroom, it was now time for practical lessons at the training ground. In addition to the training room, there were several facilities in this schools where one could experiment with magic for instance. Students were divided amongst these, so that each to their own could study whichever ability they clicked with. The training grounds we were at was divided into multiple areas; this was so that multiple classes could use it at the same time.

Today, the focus was on training for interpersonal battles, and every student was to fight an automaton with a simulated sword. The automaton was a puppet which when infused with magical power could act like an amateur swordsman. Unfortunately, since I was in the 10th class the quality on these automatons were quite poor; instead of having the automaton act like an amateur swordsman, it acted more like a drunken braggart.

When we had finished the so-called warmup, our teacher called out loudly “Next is a mock battle in pairs, and I shall announce them~.” She then started announcing the different pairs.

Anri Var, our 10th grade teacher, seemed at first glance like a gentle woman – and she was, though she had her quirks. She had wavy brown hair, soft eyes, which resulted in a rather beautiful face. At second glance however, one could tell she had a couple of screws loose here and there. A common opinion among the students was that she wasn’t really fit for this academy, which was rooted in meritocracy. Considering she was hired here though; it was clear that her abilities had to be considerably decent.

When my name was finally mentioned in the combination, my thought process got interrupted. I didn’t hear who I was set up against, so I was about to ask when someone called out to me.

“Hey, loser, stop wasting my time and get over here.”

I was awfully familiar with this voice, which unfortunately was not to say that it was someone I was fond of.

“Let’s get started already, low one.” Mars spat out.

I could feel an involuntary chill rising in the depths of my stomach as he pulled out his greatsword from the back. Though Mars was a despicable human, he also had a considerable amount of ability. Though he was a part of the 10th class, he was nothing to scoff at, since the reason he was put in the 10th class to begin with was due to behaviour, not his ability.

I took a deep breath, strengthened my resolve, and gathered my confidence. I could do this, it was doable… probably.

I pulled out my sword, which was a replica of a katana, a sword which was supposedly famous in an eastern island nation. The katana specializes in slicing, and sometimes stabbing. It is said that a master swordsman should be able to slice through iron and steel easily with this type of sword. However, to do that, you need to be incredibly skilled. The reason I use this uncommon sword, is because it was the one that I was the most compatible with, since I couldn’t really rely on any magical enhancements.

As Mars and I glared at each other, Anri-sensei finally spoke out “Then… start~!”

Mars charged me and swung his greatsword in a line right towards me as he grunted loudly.

I tried to parry by redirecting the force of the greatsword and managed to deviate his sword. It struck the ground to my right. I saw a window of opportunity and stepped in towards Mars’s left shoulder. I aimed at his neck and slashed as fast as I could.

“You’re slow!” Mars shouted as he blocked the slash with his gauntlet. Unfortunately, the replica I was using wasn’t as sharp as a real katana, so it was repelled by his gauntlet.

He tried to land a punch on my face after repelling my attack. I managed to twist my upper torso to the left as I used my momentum to attempt yet another slash. The moment my sword neared Mars however, he swung and parried with his greatsword. I was forced to retreat back a couple steps. Mars kept swinging in long curves as I dodged and tried to infiltrate the gap which remained for a short period of time after his every swing.

I was light on my toes, attempting to navigate around in an erratic order. Mars got annoyed and started slashing even faster as he cursed towards me. He sliced downwards, upwards, and sideways. Each blow was getting closer and closer to wounding me gravelly. This kept on going until we were both panting.

Mars slowed down for a bit and muttered quietly “Qi”.

I knew the battle had just gotten started when I heard that, and I once again prepared myself. ‘Qi’, a technique which originates in the east, is a type of magic which enhances physique of your body, it grants you a temporary boost of stamina, movement, and power. The downside, however, is that it consumes one’s lifeforce.

Mars lunged towards me with unmatched speed as I rolled to the side with a last second dodge. His greatsword created a whirl of dust as it hit only the ground.

“Che! Did I hesitate? This lowly…” Mars grumbled as frustration was clearly visible on his face.

He lifted the greatsword and swung it again with great speed; it was incomparable to the speed he had used earlier in the fight. It was like trying to continuously avoid the claws of a giant bear, that is if the bears claws were 1.5 metres (5 feet) long…

The sound of iron colliding could tell one of the fierceness of this battle, but unfortunately for me, its contents were one-sided. Mars’ physical strengthening was significantly more effective than mine. I once again silently cursed my peculiarity which hindered the growth of my abilities.

Though Mars was a horrible person, his ability was nothing to scoff it, he was one of the highest ranked in our class. I was only able to handle him due to the tiny amounts of Qi I could produce, even then, I was mostly parring and dodging, never having a good opportunity for a counterstrike.

Mars became increasingly frustrated the longer this fight went on, he was shouting curses at me ever since he missed his first strike with Qi. I had to commend his lung capacity though, being able to shout at the same time as fighting someone was impressive.

Eventually, I reached my limit. Though Mars had a pattern that was easy to read, he had significantly more stamina than me, and that was my demise.

“DIE!” He shouted as he swung sideways one final time, I didn’t have time to parry, and my vision became black as a massive force of power hit my chest.

 

-/ Third Person /-

 

“Oww, It hurts!” A voice complained. It was the voice of Nozomu.

“Oh, are you awake?” someone asked.

Nozomu opened his eyes and found himself lying on a bed in the infirmary. He scanned his surroundings quietly and spotted a woman with glasses in a white coat. It was Norn Altina, a rather intelligent woman who was the school nurse.

She approached Nozomu as he sat up. She moved her finger in front of his eyes; left, right, left, right, up, down. Nozomu’s eyes followed the finger easily. “Okay, you’re fully conscious, that’s clear. Do you feel pain anywhere in your body?” She asked softly.

“I have a slight headache, and my chest feels numb, but not much more.”

“Alright. I’ve already applied medicine to your chest, but if you feel any pain, return here. It’d be bad if you put up with it, and it got worse.” Norn said with a smile.

Nozomu smiled back “Thank you Norn-sensei”. He thought to himself “She is both reliable and caring, just like an older sister” as his smile widened.

At that time, a sweet voice entered the infirmary. “Norn~? How is my Nozomu doing~?” It was Nozomu’s teacher, Anri-sensei.

“Anri. This is a school, act your part.” Norn responded in a strict tone.

“Eh? There’s nobody here, it’s fiiine~.”

“He’s here too, you know.”

Anri Var and Norn Altina were both students who had once attended Solminati Academy, they had also been close classmates, hence their close relationship.

“How are you feeling? You’re feeling fine right~?”

Anri looked at Nozomu anxiously.

“This is why…” Norn didn’t finish her sentence, instead she started anew as she sighed, “He’s fine, just a bruise on his chest and a mild concussion.”

“Yeah, I’m doing okay” Nozomu said with a small smile.

“I’m glad~. I was worried you know; it would be bad if anything permanent had happened to you~.” Anri said with a smile.

“It’s okay Anri, he won’t be retiring any time soon at this level” Norn said with a hint of sarcasm.

“Norn is cold.” Anri said with puffed cheeks.

“It’s alright to worry, but don’t be overprotective. Anri, you need to trust your students in order for them to grow properly.”

Though they were arguing with one another, one could tell this wasn’t an argument with heavy hearts. There was a certainty of trust between them as they conversed.

Nozomu glanced towards the window in the infirmary and saw the sun had begun setting. He was filled with a feeling of haste, and quickly gathered his belongings.

“Thank you, Norn-sensei, and Anri-sensei. Excuse me, I need to go!”

Only 3 seconds later, and he had disappeared from the infirmary.

“Is he the one who is gossiped about regularly? I see those rumours are unreliable.”

“That’s right~”.

They both smiled softly, staring at the empty doorway.

 

-/ Norn Altina /-

 

Nozomu Bountis.

Due to a certain incident, he fell to the bottom of his class, and ever since then he’s been ridiculed. I didn’t think twice about the rumours, but when I took care of him today, I discovered that he is by no means a sloppy person.

When he was first brought in, I had to remove his clothes in order to check up on his physical condition. I was shocked at his condition, however. His body was incredibly fit, with trained, and hardened muscles all around. I would never have believed this body belonged to a student, and especially not the lowest student.

The most surprising thing, however, was the scars. There were countless traces of training or battle on his body. It was comparable to the body of a veteran adventurer, maybe even beyond that. Perhaps the rumours surrounding him are because of the intertwining of his peculiarities, and him being the ex of the Red-Haired Princess.

His peculiarity, or skill, or ability if you will, was something he developed during his first years.

Skills are a broad term for abilities which can be integrated regardless of race. When the skill is developed and nurtured, the person can receive various benefits depending on the aspects of the ability the person has. There is a myriad of different possibilities. One can have a skill which improves one’s aptitude of magic, or maybe one that improves one’s physical ability.

Nozomu’s skill however, is “ability suppression”.

When it manifests, it only serves to supress the abilities of the host. It doesn’t grow beyond a certain level. The level of suppression varies from person to person, but in his case; physical power, magical power, and morale is heavily suppressed. This means he has an incredibly large handicap. Although it is an extremely rare skill, it had no benefits, only detriments.

Nozomu’s abilities could be enhanced with items, magic, and qi, but the effect would be many times lower than what a normal human would gain. This was the main cause for the lowering of his grades, and his descent to the bottom of the 10th class. The only reason he managed to advance to the 2nd year, was due to him having enough points on his written test results.

“I can understand why you care for him.” I told Anri, with a serious expression.

“Maybe~. Everyone says bad things about Nozomu, but he did his best.”

Anri sighed and looked towards the floor.

“I want him to be respected, and I want his hard work to be acknowledged~.”

Though Anri is usually clumsy and unreliable, she has a very keen eye when it comes to students. She had only heard bad rumours about him, yet they did not match his act at all.

“I’m not sure why he’s going so far, but he’s working really hard. I want to support him as both his teacher and as a human being” Anri muttered lost in thought.

-          END of part 1.



Support Me