Monday, June 5, 2023

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 13

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #13

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

Episode 13 Using the flute used by the strange old man is...... kinda impossible.

 

 

 Adventurers up to three stars are generally considered to be in the amateur class.

 Legally, an adventurer is an adventurer whether he or she is a one-star or a four-star, but the reason why the public's view of adventurers changes after four stars is because it is said that it is relatively easy to be promoted up to three stars.

 

 One can become a one-star adventurer simply by accumulating gold.

 You can get 2 stars by clearing F-rank dungeons ten times and clearing an E-rank dungeon designated by the guild.

 The same goes for three stars. They normally go through dungeons that match their rank and then take the promotion exam.  That's it.

 

 Anyhow, all of them dictate that you have to ‘Possess a monster card of D-rank or higher’, but since you are required to purchase one when you become an adventurer, this is not really a condition.

 This is probably just a requirement to weed out those who are foolish enough to lose their cards in low-rank dungeons.

 

 However, this is not to say that most adventurers will be able to smoothly progress to the three-star level.

 It is said that nearly half of all registered adventurers stumble at least once at the E rank. Another half of them give up on reaching the two-star level. They become ‘enjoyers’ who enjoy exploring dungeons only on their days off.

 

 The main reason for this is the length of the dungeon, which is more than a dozen floors, and the many traps along the way that cannot be broken in a single day.

 Even in the F-rank dungeon, where there are no obstacles other than monsters, it takes one to two hours per floor, even with a map.

 If you have to proceed through the dungeon while being on the lookout for traps, your progress will be slowed down even further. The traps are rearranged at regular intervals, so it is impossible to buy information from the guild.

 This continues for more than a dozen floors. It will inevitably be an overnight stay strategy.

 At this point, working people along with middle and high school students drop out. Unless they take the day off from work or school, they will never be able to conquer even an E-rank dungeon.

 

 However, college students, part-timers, and freelancers can still make time for the dungeon.

 Even so, a dungeon exploration that took up days is completely different from the dungeon exploration in the F-rank dungeon. It is like the difference between a picnic and a full-scale camping trip.

 

 The maximum you can advance for walking all day is from five to ten floors.

 The adventurers must be on the lookout for monsters that suddenly appear, search for traps, and carry water and food on their backs.

 It is not a task that those who become adventurers for light reasons would be able to continue.

 

 Even the Self-Defense Forces had many retirees when the dungeon first appeared. Well, the biggest factor was that the effects of the cards were not known at the time.

 

 As a result, those university students seem divided into two groups based on their choices: either they join a full-fledged adventurer's club, aiming to become professionals and working hard on expeditions with their friends, or they gather together as ‘enjoyers’ and form a circle that resembles a social gathering.

 

 Don't make fun of the F-rank dungeons. Just as I was able to earn 500,000 yen in one month, not even mentioning 100,000, earning 200,000 is easy.

 To be honest, there was even a view that going through F-rank dungeons daily would be more profitable than challenging E-rank dungeons half-heartedly.

 The reason is that the dungeon rewards are the most delicious.

 

 In the E-rank dungeon, it was not unusual to lose a D-rank card due to a combo of damage caused by traps and monster attacks. That alone will result in a loss of close to one million to ten million at the most. I can’t even imagine how it will be if I lost a D-rank card one day.

 ‘Take the risk and enjoy an E-rank dungeon in a day trip’. I often see such headlines in magazines in convenience stores.

 At first, I was also planning to go with the enjoyable route. Since I thought the E-rank dungeons were too hard for a student.

 

 But not anymore.

 

 I have a rare item, the Flute of Hamelin, which is coveted by adventurers. With this, there was no need for me to stay overnight to conquer the dungeon. Time, the biggest wall in the amateur class, does not exist for me.

 Therefore, I was even able to progress through the E-rank dungeon while studying for the test.

 If it were not for this, I probably would have given up on becoming a 3-star adventurer at some point.

 As for strength, I had one C-rank and two D-rank cards, which were excessively sufficient for the E-rank dungeon.

 The only remaining obstacle was now the traps.

 

 

 

 It was a holiday after the test. I had come to the E-rank dungeon that I was in the middle of clearing.

 This dungeon, designated by the guild, was a standard dungeon with candle flames illuminating the stone passageways.

 

 I had no prior information about this dungeon. This is because adaptability to the unknown is also a part of the test.

 When I took the test, I was required to sign a contract not to leak any information about this dungeon to outside parties.

 

 The passage seems narrow, and there are frequent forks to confuse us. Thanks to the mapping app on my phone, we never got lost, but the further we went, the more I realized that my internal sense of direction was getting out of whack.

 At the end of the corridor, there are small rooms that look like smaller school classrooms, and monsters only appear in these rooms.

 

 It was nice not to have to be on the lookout for unexpected encounters, but on the other hand, it also meant that we were forced to fight more than a certain number of times per floor, which was a bothersome system for those of us who have a style of searching for enemies and avoiding battles.

 Although the existence of these small rooms is not all bad......

 

“Eliza, play the flute.”

 

 After entering the dungeon, I summoned the usual three cards - now that it is an E-rank dungeon and the summoning limit is four cards, it is finally possible to summon everyone at the same time --- and immediately gave instructions to Eliza.

 

 In the F-rank dungeon, I occasionally encountered other adventurers, but since this dungeon was not open to the public, it was reserved for me during the test.

 Therefore, I could use Hamelin's flute with peace of mind.

 

"♪~♪♪~"

 

 Eliza plays the tunes, albeit poorly.

 

 ...... This flute-blowing role, no one told her, but she was naturally in charge of it.

 The flute left behind by that eerie piper......, everyone somehow disliked using it, and so, the role went to Eliza, the only one who didn't seem to have any such feelings.

 

 I was feeling kind of guilty about it, but she seemed to like it so much that she even started practicing tunes on it during breaks.

 Now, even though it's clumsy, she's been able to perform a song for our transfer.

 

 

 After the performance ended, a black, swirling sphere appeared in front of us. It was exactly the same one that existed at the entrance to the dungeon.

 

 By passing through this distortion of space, we could instantly transfer to the safe zone of the floor we had already reached before.

 However, the information of the dungeon accumulated in the flute disappears from it once you have conquered the dungeon.

 In other words, it is not possible to move to the lowest floor of a dungeon that you have conquered once and continue to receive rewards for clearing it easily. Too bad.

 

 Passing through the gate, we were transferred to the safe zone of the 12th floor, the front line.

 Transfer-type magic items, not limited to Hamelin's flute, can basically only transport from safe zone to safe zone.

 If it was possible to transfer anywhere on the floor, it would be convenient for both searching and escaping from enemies, but that was indeed a luxury.

 

“All right, let's go.”

 

 With Eliza leading the way, Yuki, me, and Renge advanced in a formation a little further away.

 

 The reason why Eliza is leading and a little further away at the front is because she is our party's trap disarmer.

 For those of us whose knowledge of traps relies on the instructional books available at the guild, disarming traps is a matter of learning by actually eating them.

 By process of elimination, the role had ended on Eliza, an undead with no sense of pain.

 

 She protects her allies in battle, acts as the unpleasant-flute player, and even disarms dangerous traps.

 I was filled with apologetic feelings for her, but she was a brave and studious girl who was gradually adapting to the traps of this dungeon.

 Then, Eliza stopped dead in her tracks.

 

She said,

"...... Master, the floor in front is a different color. It's probably a pitfall trap."

 

 She reported back to me, speaking more fluently than before her ego had awakened.

 

 I look closely from behind her, but to be honest, I can't tell the difference at all from here. To begin with, the passage itself is dimly lit, and I rely on the candles placed along the walls at regular intervals, so visibility is very poor. As a mere human, there was no way I could tell the difference.

 

 But it seemed that Yuki and Renge were the same way, as they were tilting their heads.

 

“So what should we do, Eliza?”

“The right end of the corridor is colored the same as usual, so the pit seems to be from the left end to the center. I will go through the right end and check it first.”

“Okay, okay."

 

 When I nodded, Eliza proceeded without hesitation.

 

"---I have confirmed that it is safe. Please pass."

“Oh, oh.”

 

 As I was nervously avoiding the pitfalls, Renge spoke to me from behind,

 

"Suddenly you've changed from giving orders to being given orders. If things go on like this, won't Eliza become the command tower someday? Oh, do we really need you?"

 

 I snorted at Renge, who had a grinning smile on her face. Idiot....

 

 

“Since when did you think you needed me?”

“What, you dare say....... No, I'm not sure I expected that response. Come to think of it, you're right......”

 

 After her eyes widened in surprise, Renge nodded repeatedly as if strangely convinced.

 

 No, if you are really convinced by that......

I feel a little sad, even though I had waved the joke myself.

 

 Actually, as the enemy got stronger, I had fewer and fewer chances to get involved in combat.......

 There is a limit to how much I can issue orders during battle, and defense tools will eventually become ineffective.

 

 It is said that high-ranked monsters move faster than human's dynamic vision. It is impossible to give precise instructions on such a battlefield.

 

 I wonder how high-ranking adventurers do it? Do they just stand there? Come to think of it, adventurers in MonColo manipulate cards like their own hands and feet. ...... Is there some kind of trick? Is it simply good preparation?

 

 

As I was pondering over a random question, Yuki followed me up, probably because she thought I was depressed,

"Renge-san, we are what we are because of our master. It was the Master who brought Eliza-san up to that level, wasn't it?”

 

“Oh, as expected of a dog, don’t miss the chance to appeal your loyalty.”

 

"Being a dog is fine. Bark bark."

 

"Give me your hand, doggy. Or, is sitting and begging better?”

 

"A good dog doesn't wag their tail to anyone other than their master."

 

 At first glance, it seems like an unfriendly exchange, but the atmosphere between the two is soft.

 Before I knew it, the three had had a relationship of three sisters: the eldest, who was a little mean but actually kind, the second sister, who was serious and caring, and the third sister who was quiet and studious.

 The interesting thing to note is that the apparent ages of the eldest, second, and third sister are reversed.

 

“Master, we are at a crossroads.”

“Oh, let's see, according to the app, the last time we went to the right, it is a dead-end. The straight road is 70% mapped out, but the left is untouched. ......Hmmm, okay, let's go left.”

“Roger that."

 

 With the phone in hand, we go left at the fork in the road, then go right at the next T-junction.

 As I filled in the map in this way little by little, Yuki said,

“That thing you have, Master, is really convenient, isn’t it? With this, we'll never get lost.”

 

“Well, basically. But some of the traps in dungeons can destroy electrical appliances, and some can absorb all light. If we rely on this too much, we will be in for a rude slap.”

 

“Eh? Will it be okay?”

 

"Well, the guild has warned me about that, so I should know in advance, so it's probably fine. ……There's usually a pattern in this dungeon to get people to ...... feel that kind of pain early, though."

 

“If I were the guild, I will be sure to do that.”

 

“Let’s hope that the guild is not as crooked as Renge.”

 

“Then I guess we'll be all right, Master.”

 

"Oi."

 

 While we were talking about that, a door came into view in front of us.  At first glance, it appeared to be an ordinary wooden door.

 But we had learned from our previous mission that we couldn't be too careful even with a door like this.

 

I asked,

"How is it......?  Do you think there's a trap?"

 

 Eliza was looking at the door from various angles for a while, and then she turned around and said,

"There is no trace on this side.”

 

Then there doesn't seem to be a trap....... but this is the dungeon.

 

“Up until now, there have been three patterns: a trap where the door explodes the moment it is opened, a trap where bows and arrows fly at you, and a trap placed at the end of the door. Forgive me, I can't discern them right now."

 

"Okay...... Sorry, can you do the usual for me?"

 

"Yes, Master."

 

 The usual. In other words, it was to physically release the trap.

 Eliza nodded to my request without hesitation.

 After confirming that we had taken some distance, she opened the door with a mighty bang.

 

 I heard the sound of something operating.

 Something was released from the darkness at the back of the room.

 It slipped past Eliza’s side---

 

“...... Ah!"

 

 I let out a hoarse cry and looked down at my chest in dismay.

 

--- There was an arrow embedded deep inside.

 

 

 

 

 

Episode 13 (2)

 

 I plopped down on the ground with a thud.

 

"Ah...... ah......."

 

 I reach for the arrow with my trembling hands, but I can't pull it out because I don't have the strength.

 But finally, I managed to pull the arrow out.

 

"That was close~!

 

 I let out a deep sigh of relief.

 The tactical vest made from new materials found in the dungeon had successfully protected me from the crossbow arrow.

 The barrier function of the card provides complete protection for the master's body, but it does not extend to the clothes he or she wears.

 Therefore, it is possible for an arrow to get stuck in the clothing and surprise the master.

 Incidentally, some female adventurers have been known to be stripped completely naked after being attacked with acid.

 

 While I was thinking about this, Renge and the others rushed into the room and started fighting.

 

 Even when they saw me being hit by an arrow, they only glanced sideways at me.

 It's not that they are cold....... The fact is that the girls, who can shoulder the damage, realized earlier than I did that I was unscathed.

 Rather, they should be praised for being able to move quickly.

 

 Even though I really wanted them to be a little bit worried about me.......

 

 I shook my head to drown out such naivety and followed the girls into the room.

 

 Normally, it would be safer for the master to wait outside the room, where no enemies would appear.

 However, when I was waiting for the battle to end outside before, monsters kept appearing with no end, no matter how many they killed. In addition, there were no drops.

 Perhaps the dungeon judges the end of the battle based on whether the master is in the room or not.

 I don't know what the mechanism is, or what the intention is, but...

 

 Since then, I've always made sure to go inside the room.

 There were four monsters in the room. A big humanoid made of stone, a black dog that leaked fire from its mouth, an old man with a big bag, and a black haze.......

 

 I recognized the big humanoid and the black dog immediately because we had fought them before. A stone golem and a hellhound.

 However, the old man and the black haze were new to me.

 

 After reaching the tenth floor, when E-rank monsters appeared, the strength and diversity of the enemies increased dramatically.

 The simple combat power is one thing, but their skills are also troublesome.

 

 Both the stone golem and the hellhound have high combat power, but they are not the type to use strange tricks.

 

 Then, in a situation like this---

 

"Get rid of that old man first!"

"OK!  Though, even if we don't bother to kill him, he'll probably die sooner or later!"

 

 Yuki jumped on the old man, and Renge shot light bullets from behind.

 Then, the stone golem interrupted. Its stone body blocked Yuki's claws and the light bullets.

 

 Although the golem was sold for its toughness, it still couldn't withstand repeated attacks from higher-ranked attacks and so it disintegrated into countless stone rubble.

 A momentary shadow was created in exchange for the golem’s life. The hellhound emerged from there and leaped at the small zashiki-warashi.

 Renge noticed this, but she could not move. No, she doesn’t move.

 A golden shadow cuts in between the hellhound and Renge. She moves as fast as using an instantaneous movement.

 It is Eliza.

 

 Receiving the Hellhound's fangs with her protector-wearing left hand, she slammed the biting, flame-spitting black dog to the ground and pressed her stun rod against it.

 

“Kwang!”

 

 The hellhound, which even showed a determination not to let go even if it dies, was however forced to open its jaws by the force of the electric current. Then, Eliza bit it. That was the moment when predator and prey switched places.

 

 In the end, the old man who was supposed to be the first to be killed and the black haze remained on the spot. It was only a few seconds, just a few seconds, but it was enough for the old man to set himself up.

 The old man throws the large bag on his back in the room. The contents of the bag were sand....... Should I close my eyes?

 

 I was taken aback for a moment, wondering what that was all about, but soon,  I became tense.

 

Stupid, it's not possible to be just that. The stone golem and the hellhound risked their lives to earn the time, there is something else.

 

 But contrary to my thoughts, nothing seemed to have happened to my cards.

 Yuki's claws cut through the old man, and light bullets punched through the black haze. With that, the battle was over.

 

“......What was this sand after all?"

 

 Renge answered my mutterings,

 

“Hmm, it's probably sleeping powder. The moment it was sprinkled, I felt a little sleepy. I resisted with plenty of time to spare, though.”

“I see…”

 

 Sleeping sand...... was dangerous. 

 

Sleep is a dangerous status ailment that isn't funny in combat. Luckily, all of my cards are resistant to status ailments, so we managed somehow, but if they couldn't resist it, it's possible that we would have been wiped out.

 

“So, this guy is ......."

Oh, it's a nightmare!

 

 I picked up the card dropped by the black haze and grunted.

 

 Nightmare...... A monster that is said to control nightmares. Don't say it's just a nightmare. In dreams, it has the power to easily kill monsters of one rank or higher. On the other hand, in the real world, it is nearly powerless.......

 

“Sandman and Nightmare combo... Didn't it suddenly increase in difficulty after reaching E-rank?"

 

 The stone golem is the guard, the hellhound is the attacker, the sandman is the support, and the nightmare is in charge of instant kill for the sleeping opponents......

 

 If you are just pushing a single D-rank card in a situation like that, it's usually a lost cause. Won’t one be annihilated if they did it poorly?

 With this arrangement, if you leave the room immediately, you won't die, but... it's impossible for you to return to the surface on your own.

 

 In that case, there is no choice but to pay the guild a shitload of money to send in a rescue team. Naturally, you are responsible for the cost, which is ‘only’ about a million yen for an F-rank dungeon, but for an E-rank dungeon, the cost is close to 10 million yen.

 Every year, there are a certain number of people who have to take on huge debts. This was the biggest bottleneck when I tried to convince my parents.

 

“Now then, let’s go have some fun time.”

 

 I turned my attention to the treasure chest that had appeared in the center of the room before I knew it.

 

 This, is the biggest advantage of this type of dungeon. While you are forced to fight in a small room, a disappointing box will appear on rare occasions. In terms of probability, it's about 5%...

 

 The contents of the box are naturally more meager than the rewards from completing an F-rank dungeon. Most of them are consumable goods worth about 1,000 yen, and potions and the like are among the lucky hits. In addition, there was a high probability of traps being set in the disappointing boxes.

 If the contents of the box are not only poor, but also contained traps, it was usually recommended to skip it. The reason why we continue to challenge the disappointing boxes, however, is because they contain a jackpot, albeit rarely.

 

 The name of that jackpot is skill orb. It is a dreamlike magic item that allows cards to learn skills just by using it.

 It is an item that cannot be taken out of the dungeon, and its contents are not known until it is used, so it may not necessarily be a skill with merit, but since we got a skill orb by chance when we first started exploring, I've been obsessed with the charm of the disappointing boxes.

 

 Incidentally, the skill orb we got was a technical skill -the color of the skill orb indicates the general tendency of the skill- so I decided to give it to Eliza after wondering who to give it to.

 Due to the nature of the ghoul race, Eliza's movements are inevitably lackluster. Or should I say ‘rough’ rather than ‘slow’? Since technical skill is a skill that compensates for such things, I decided to give it to her in hope that it could improve her movement even a little.

 

 This turned out to be a great decision.

 The name of the skill she got is [Precision movement]. It is a skill that improves the precision of her movements, and it was the perfect skill for her.

 First of all, her movements during battles became smoother, and she was able to activate skills such as [Protect] more quickly. She seems to be able to move her fingers the way she wants, which had been frustrating her while practicing her flute performance. It continues to improve even now.

 

 The best thing of all is that she is now able to disarm traps.

 Until now, she was too clumsy, and was able to disarm traps that could only be disarmed by setting it off with her immortal body.

 Of course, the success rate is still low. However, if she continues to gain experience, the day will come when she will awaken the skill to disarm traps.

 I was sure of that.

 

"All right, then, Eliza, open the lid.”

“Yes, Master."

 

 Eliza takes on the disappointing box while we watch from a distance, just in case.

 After a few minutes of struggling with the keyhole, with a click, the lid slowly opens. Eliza turns around.

 

“I'm sorry," she says. “I failed.”

 

 An arrow was pierced deep into her chest.

 

“Eliza!”

 

 We rushed to Eliza.

 The day when she learns the disarming skill is still far away.

 

[Tips] Magic Items

 Many magic items appear in the dungeon. Potions that can heal wounds and illnesses are the best examples, and there are other dream-like items, such as wands that allow you to use magic, holy swords, magic swords, flying carpets, and bread baskets that produce infinite bread. However, some of them have been confirmed to be magic items that bring misfortune, such as the Monkey's Paw.

 Basically, the higher the rank of the dungeon, the better magical items will appear, but there are also cases where extremely rare magic items appear even in low-ranked dungeons. On the other hand, there was a case where an ‘adult toy’ appeared in a high-rank dungeon as a reward.

 

 

***

 

Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

Support Me