Monday, June 10, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 66

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #66

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 66: A Story of Clinging to a Young Girl's Legs and Pulling A Pack

 

 

 

"---- I see, so it's still difficult?"

 

"Yes, I'm sorry I can't help you."

 

 The first day of summer vacation.

 

 At a coffee shop in front of Hachioji Station, I was meeting Tono-san, a card merchant.

 

 The subject of the conversation was about the succubus that I had asked him to get for some time.

 

 A large sum of money, 500 million yen, had unexpectedly rolled in into my life. I had been thinking a lot about how to use it, but in the end, I decided to use it to strengthen the force of my party as usual.

 

 Yeah, that's right, it was to upgrade Mea's rank, which I had been putting off for a long time.

 

 Everyone in the party could sense that she was feeling a strong sense of impatience because Eliza and Yuki, who were also D-ranked, had been ranked up, and even Suzuka, who had joined the party much later, had become C-ranked.

 

 Up until now, I had kept the matter quiet due to the lack of money and opportunities to obtain it, but now that I had money and access to Tono-san, it was indeed not good to postpone her rank-up any longer.

 

 Above all, I wanted to reward her as she put her life on the line during the retreat battle with the Hound Master, she had contributed so selflessly to the party with the skill [Curse a man, and they will be cursed with two pits] that was even painful for her.

 

 So I contacted Tono-san as soon as the incident was over... but so far, the progress was not very good.

 

"When it comes to the most popular cards such as succubus and elves, you can't just get them if you have money... However, if it's the normal one, there is no problem to get it."

 

 I shook my head, apologizing inwardly to Tono-san, who was looking at me,

 

"No, I'm sorry. It has to be a succubus with [Zero existence] skill.

 

"Is that so……"

 

 Tono-san lowered his eyebrows as if he was slightly dejected. I was sorry, but I wouldn't compromise.

 

 For him, my request may look like 'reckless behavior of a kid who got a lot of money and doesn't know the reality of the situation'.

 

 But from my point of view, this was a line I would not compromise.

 

 It would be easy to simply get a regular succubus card. It would cost only 100 to 200 million out of a budget of 500 million, and Mea would be happy.

 

 But in that case, her growth potential would end there.

 

 Succubus are said to be difficult to obtain, but when it comes to Lilim, the difficulty level is even higher. It would be better to say 'impossible to obtain' rather than 'difficult to obtain'.

 

 Alternatively, there is the route of Hecate as the 'Lord' of Empusa instead of the mainstream Lilim as a dream demon, but that is a multi-billion card as well, and while not as difficult to obtain as Lilim, it is still difficult to obtain.

 

 In other words, the only way for Mea to gain the power of a B-rank card is to obtain [Spiritual recurrence] or [Breakthrough of Limits] for which the conditions for obtaining them are still not clear.

 

 The only way to bridge the ever-widening gap in the party due to the fact that Renge has obtained the [Breakthrough of Limits] skill - and for the sake of Mea, who is trying her best to stand next to her best friend Renge, I wanted to leave her with a way: the [Spiritual recurrence].

 

"Regarding the succubus with a [Zero existence] skill, I will continue to look for a source of information. But well, it will depend on luck whether I can get it or not, so please be wait patiently..."

 

"Thank you."

 

"And on that note..."

 

 Then Tono-san took out a micro SD card in a case from his bag.

 

"I managed to get your other request. Here is the data you asked for. Please accept it."

 

"Oh, thank you verymuch!"

 

 I received the micro SD card and quickly inserted it into my phone.

 

 Then, I read the data briefly....

 

...... I see, there are cases where the [Zero existence] skill is transferred and there are cases where it is not, even if they are ranked up under the same conditions. And the [Spiritual recurrence] which is carried over will revert back to the [Zero existence].....?"

 

 The data I had asked Tono-san for was 'research data on the [Zero existence] and [Spiritual recurrence] skills'.

 

 The information on the net was so confusing that the details of those skills are not known at all. I asked Tono-san to provide me with research data.

 

 It cost 10 million yen because the data was not available to the public, but it was worth it.

 

 The data revealed six characteristics of [Spiritual recurrence].

 

 One, if the card you want to rank up with has the [Zero existence] skill, the [Zero existence] skill will not be lost when the ranked up happens (in other words, by using a succubus with a [Zero existence] skill to rank up, Mea will also have a [Zero existence] skill).

 

 Two, the combat power reduced by the [Zero existence] skill varies by rank: 200 for B-rank, 100 for C-rank, 50 for D-rank, and 25 for E-rank. There are currently no confirmed A or F-ranks with the [Zero existence] skill. These numbers will turn around to positive at the stage of becoming the [Spiritual recurrence].

 

 Three, when a card with [Zero existence] skill or [Spiritual recurrence] is ranked up, whether or not the [Zero existence] skill is carried over is random (they have not found the cause). In the majority of cases, they are not carried over. If lucky, the [Spiritual recurrence] that is passed on will revert back to the [Zero existence] skill again.

 

 Four, when a card with [Spiritual recurrence] is ranked up, it gains the skill of [Spiritual enhancement], regardless of the succession of the [Zero existence] skill. If the card is not with [Spiritual recurrence] and is ranked up with the[Zero existence] skill, this skill does not occur.

 

 Five, giving a key item to a card that is using [Spiritual recurrence] does not result in a 'second' rank-up (Renge that is changing to Kisshouten by using [Spiritual recurrence] cannot be further ranked up at that time).

 

 Six, there is basically one key item to which the card responds even if there are multiple rank-up destinations. However, in rare cases, there are cards that react to more than one key item and can thus end up in more than one destination.

 

 These were the basic rules that can be learned from experiments. The rest of the data seemed to be mostly about the key items for each card.

 

 I'll take a closer look at those data later. After confirming that most of the information I wanted to know was included, I smiled at Tono-san,

 

"Thank you very much for your help."

 

"No, it's no problem. .....That data will only be sold to parties that have signed a contract with us, so please don't spread it around too widely."

 

"I understand."

 

 I nodded firmly back at Tono-san, who advised me just in case.

 

This data was purchased from a national research institute through his connections as a card merchant.

 

 If I were to spread this data, which had not yet been released to the public, not only Tono-san's trust in me but also his reputation as a merchant would be lost.

 

 In the first place, I had no intention of giving away for free the information I had paid 10 million yen for.

 

 I planned to keep this data at home and not even view it outside of my home.

 

 Tono-san relaxed his expression and said,

 

"... Well, I'm sure that in two or three years, some company will release this information as an app and it will be available to the general public."

 

 But I can't wait that long. I want the information about the [Spiritual recurrence] now.

 

 What I bought was also that two or three years time.

 

".....That said, it must be tough. I didn't expect a dungeon to appear in your school."

 

 When the business talk was over and we were having a breather, Tono-san suddenly commented on it.

 

"Indeed. ...... Fortunately, it was a general 'other world' type, but if it had been a special type like the Tokyo Dome, all the students would have had to be transferred to a new school."

 

 When a dungeon appears in a residence or workplace, the landowner has two choices: move to an alternative location provided by the government, or live as they are in exchange for the installation of a gate.

 

 In most cases, the former is chosen when the dungeon appears in an ordinary home, while the latter is often chosen when it appears in a building, school, or other workplace. However, depending on the type of dungeon that appears, they may be forced to choose the former.

 

 Those, are the special type of dungeons that takes in existing land and buildings and turns them into the dungeon, such as the former Tokyo Dome, which is now the stage of MonColo.

 

 General other-worldly dungeons like the one I usually dive into can be managed by private parties as long as the entrance is controlled by a gate, but special-type dungeons encroach on the surrounding land and turn it into a dungeon, so there is a danger that even children can enter if they want to.

 

 Therefore, a rule was made that, without exception, the government had to take over the special dungeons and manage them by enclosing them with high walls.

 

 Naturally, if a special-type dungeon appeared in a school, the students attending the school would be divided into small groups and dispersed to various schools.

 

 Although it was inevitable, the students forced to change schools were not happy to be separated from their familiar school and good friends.

 

It was a blessing in disguise that it happened before summer vacation.”

 

"Yes. Well, there are about two hundred cases a year. And where there are a lot of people, the chances of a dungeon occurring are high in places where there are a lot of people."

 

"Have they found out the rank of the dungeon yet?"

 

"No, they are still investigating."

 

"Ho... If it's been more than a week, it must be a C rank or higher or a secret dungeon, right? Isn't this good news for Kitagawa-san?"

 

"Is that so......?"

 

 I tilted my head at Tono-san's words.

 

"Places like schools tend to not want outsiders from entering. In most cases, professional adventurers are hired to manage the dungeon. That said, hiring a professional is not free... see what I mean?"

 

"I see......... they will ask adventurers on campus to manage the dungeon for free or at a low fee in exchange for some conditions."

 

"That is, of course, if the dungeon is not classified as a secret dungeon."

 

 Hmm, if everything goes as Tono-san said, the Adventurers' Club will have a monopoly on one C-rank dungeon.

 

 It was a big advantage for us, a fledgling professional team, to be able to take on the challenge without having to compete with other professional teams.

 

 Depending on the school's conditions, perhaps we could be allowed to officially establish the Adventurers' Club...

 

 I see now... no wonder Anna was having trouble studying for her exams. She was excited.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's finally over...the talk is too long.

 

 When I left the cafe and parted ways with Tono-san, I heard a voice talking to me.

 

 The voice reached directly into my brain from someone I couldn't see, and I replied in the same way,

 

That’s why I told you to wait inside the card…Renge.

 

I'm tired of being in there. I'd rather be observing the other customers in the shop.

 

Is that so? So did you have any interesting stories?

 

Hm... let's see. There was an old man and a young woman sitting diagonally behind you, right?

 

Ah...now that I think about it, there was a tired old man and a girl around high school age...

 

 I don't remember the old man well, but I remember the girl because she was pretty cute and had big tits.

 

Yeah. The old man said he woke up this morning to find that his wife had taken all their money and eloped with the man she had been cheating on him with.

 

Seriously?

 

Uwah... that's tragic.

 

And it seems the other guy was his own favorite subordinate......

 

Double tragic...... So I guess he and his daughter were discussing it?

 

No? The other girl is not his daughter, but his affair partner.

 

Huh? Damn. I lost my sympathy.

 

 While listening to the interesting stories of other customers that Renge saw and heard, we headed for the station.

 

...So, where are you planning on going?

 

Hmm? Oh, the Guild. I'm thinking of drawing card pack for the first time in a while.

 

 As I said this, Renge's mood, which was transmitted through the Link, changed.

 

Are you thinking of trying that thing?

 

Yeah, I'm thinking...... of trying the Perfect Link to manipulate fate outside the dungeon.

 

Oioi, you, I think you're a bit underestimating the distortion of the law of causality.

 

I'm well aware of the danger. That's why I'm not going to manipulate my fate beyond the good luck I've saved up. That way, the distortion that is created can be kept to a minimum, right?

 

 The Perfect Link and the ability to manipulate fate certainly have risks that cannot be ignored.

 

 The 'Trial' generated by the accumulation of the distortion of the law of causality will sometimes come as a tragedy greater than the miracle obtained by the manipulation of fate.

 

 If you use it incorrectly, it will lead to your own destruction.

 

 However, from a different perspective, it also implies that it depends on how you use it.

 

 The distortion of the law of causality created by the manipulation of fate will be minimized if we do not borrow good luck in advance.

 

 This minimal distortion will disappear in two to three weeks.

 

 In other words, if you take a safety margin and use it once a month or so, you can use this ability almost risk-free.

 

So, why a card pack from the Guild? I don't agree with using this ability for gambling.

 

Purely for efficiency and the risk of information leakage.

 

 When attacking the dungeon, my ability to solo is limited to D-rank dungeons. That means the best cards I can get are C-rank cards.

 

 If I challenge a C-rank dungeon, there is a possibility that I can get a B-rank card, but since it is impossible for to attack the dungeon solo, I have to share the cards with the adventurers with whom I work with.

 

 Anna and the others would certainly notice Renge's ability if B-rank cards, which should rarely drop, are dropped every few months.

 

 Although I had told everyone in the Adventurers' Club about Hamelin's Flute, I had no intention of telling them about Renge's special characteristics.

 

 It was not that I did not trust them, but trust does not mean that I would expose everything to them.

 

 Taking into account all the circumstances, the maximum profit that can be obtained from the dungeon attack is just one C-rank card per month.

 

 Now, speaking of the guild's card packs, there is a 30% chance of D-rank cards in them, and a less than 1% chance of C-rank cards.

 

 It may seem difficult at first glance to have a probability of less than 1% of C-rank cards costing 1 million yen per pack, but for me, who can use fate manipulation, the probability is quite high.

 

 For me, who can boost the drop rate of C-rank cards from less than 1% to 100% in exchange for a month's worth of good luck, it is no problem.

 

 In addition, the Guild's card packs always contain one B-rank card, elf, and succubus among the 12 packs.

 

 The first prize is the B-rank card, and the elf and succubus cards are the second and third prizes.

 

 Since one pack is produced per month, the winning packs are restocked once a year at some point.

 

 This restocking is done regardless of whether or not a jackpot had been drawn in the previous year.

 

In other words?

 

----There could be a succubus with the [Zero existence] skill still dormant among the packs.

 

 Until I discovered [Spiritual recurrence], the rare cards in the Guild's card packs were mainly those with negative skills such as [Zero existence] skill.

 

 With the discovery of the [Spiritual recurrence], a significant number of the Guild's packs were bought, but not all of them would likely have been bought up.

 

 The possibility that 'a succubus with [Zero existence] skill' was sleeping among them was not zero.

 

 ......Well, I know that the probability of that is not zero, just as I know that the chance is next to nil.

 

 Even if there were any left, it would be not certain to get them even using fate manipulation.

 

 Even so, as long as there was no other way to get a succubus with [Zero existence] skill, this was the only way to get one.

 

Yes, for Mea's sake, I had no choice but to pull the pack!

 

----And, what is your real reason?"

 

 As a result of my explanation, what came back to me from Renge were these cold words.

 

 Although I could not see her due to her [Hide and Seek] skill, I could clearly picture her looking at me as if I was a pig from a pig farm, and I was flustered.

 

R- really! What I said just now is true, you know? I'm not lying about my feelings?

 

Lie on. You've got eyes glazed with desire. You just want to pull the gacha, don't you?

 

Ugh...!

 

 I was hit right on the mark, and I winced.

 

 I knew my intentions were obvious.

 

 I've tried to explain to her in various ways, but to tell the truth, I just wanted to draw a pack.

 

 I hadn't bought a single card pack since that one time when I got Renge and the others.

 

 Partly because I thought there was no way I could hit such a jackpot more than once, but also because I feared that if I hit a decent jackpot again, I would be unable to control myself.

 

 That feeling when I bet a million yen, which could be said to be my entire fortune, and drew Renge and the others...

 

 I could clearly recognize the feeling of astonishment, delight, happiness, and accomplishment... and something in my brain that shouldn't have been there.

 

 It was a kind of drug...

 

 So, I decided to stay away from the Guild's card packs.

 

 Even when I became a three-star adventurer and could buy many card packs from the Guild, I never tried to buy them.

 

 I had a feeling that if I bought packs and collected cards without breaking a sweat and relying on Renge's blessing... I would eventually fall.

 

But, ugh, limit! There's a limit to my endurance!

 

Is there anyone who wouldn't gamble if they knew they would definitely win?

 

At least, not me.

 

This is a bonus.....! This is my monthly reward for all the hard work I've put in so far...!

 

It would definitely lead to an increase in my party's strength, so it would be worse not to pull it off......!

 

Yes, this is now an obligation...!

 

Part of my job as a master...!

 

"So, I'm going to buy the pack, no matter what anyone says....!

 

"Hmm... I guess all the pressure you've been putting up with is hitting you now."

 

 Seeing me declaring so vigorously, Renge had her head in her hands (I could feel it through the Link).

 

But, that's not good. You, even though free, fate has its ups and downs. Save your good luck for unexpected misfortune.

 

 Renge's words conveyed a determined will through the Link.

 

Kuh... no matter how much I want to use fate manipulation, the Perfect Link cannot be established without Renge's cooperation.

 

Since this happens, I have no choice.

 

 I looked around and went into an alleyway that was completely deserted.

 

 Once within the alleyway, which was completely devoid of people and surveillance cameras, a kimono-clad Renge emerged into view.

 

 She looked down at me with her arms folded, so I clasped my hands together and bowed deeply to her.

 

C'mon, I beg you! Just this one time, let me pull the card pack! Isn't it necessary to actually experiment?

 

There's no need for an experiment. It worked fine with The Wolf and The Seven Young Goats. Or maybe you can't trust my abilities?

 

No, I trust you! But, inside the dungeon and outside the dungeon might be a little different! If we try to use it when I am about to get involved in an incident or accident outside the dungeon, it would be a problem if it’s ineffective, right?

 

I'll save you in that case.

 

Kuh, tough....! Renge is so much more stubborn than I expected.

 

...If possible, I didn't want to do this.

 

 I had decided to use the last resort against Renge.

 

Rengee〜〜!Don't say that, please help me this once〜』

 

——Secret technique: Persuasion by tears!

 

 I clung to Renge's slender legs with a firm grip.

 

Please, please, please! If I do it this time, I'll hold out for half a year next time〜』

 

Wai-, hey!

 

 Renge grabbed my head in shock, but she didn't tear me off or kick me.

 

 This delinquent-like Zashiki-warashi is very sweet to those who she had once opened her heart to.

 

Aren't you embarrassed to be like this? As a man!

 

You idiot! Of course I'm embarrassed!

 

 Renge's face turned bright red as she screamed, and I opened my eyes and yelled back.

 

How old do you think I am?! I'm 16 years old! I'm not a six-year-old! I can't live in this town anymore if someone sees me like this!

 

Ee...? Then don't do it...

 

It's embarrassing... but I won't get anything by looking good! I'll even lick your feet if it means I get something out of it, you prick!

 

Eeh, on- on the contrary, this is more masculine...?

 

 Renge seemed genuinely confused, which was rare. This is... good! The flow is on my side!

 

 I lowered my voice and looked at her with a sorrowful, upturned look.

 

Hey? Please... I'm begging you. Okay?

 

Mmmmh....

 

 The lotus flower was looking lost with her small mouth twitching for a while, but then she finally said,

 

No choice... just this once.

 

 She patted my head in resignation.

 

...I did it! 

 

 

 

[Tips] Special type dungeon

 

 Unlike normal dungeons, where a different space exists beyond the gate, this is a general term for dungeons that take in the land and buildings that originally existed and turn them into a dungeon.

 

 One of the characteristics of special-type dungeons is that there are no monsters or traps along the way, and only one boss appears. These dungeons are much stronger than normal dungeons.

 

 In addition, there are many cases where the exterior of the dungeon looks normal, but once you step inside, you will find that the interior has been greatly expanded. The Tokyo Dome dungeon, for example, has a number of stadiums inside, which have been converted into arenas, and each program has its own arena where matches are held every day.

 

***

 

Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon!

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

Support Me