Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 77

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #77

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 77: The First Day of Training Camp (2)

 


 

 

"It's no fun to let Anna win all by herself. So let's bet a piece of candy on each other."

 

 Just as I was about to summon my cards, Oribe said so wisely.

 

 That reminded me, we are supposed to bet on the candy first before we fight....

 

 I was careless. Certainly, only Anna would be happy if we bet it all here......

 

 I nodded and used the communication function on my badge to tell my Teacher about my duel choice and that I was betting one candy.

 

 Then .......

 

Maro, one candy bet. Oribe, three candy bets. Maro, summon three cards, Oribe-san, summon four cards.

 

“Huh!?”

 

 When I looked at Oribe in shock, she smiled wickedly.

 

"Oioi, come on, this is a mock race, remember? No matter how cute your younger opponent is, of course you have to be wary of this kind of thing."

 

 Damn it, I've been had. But Oribe was right. This is a mock race to ensure that this kind of thing will not happen in the real thing.

 

 ...Well, I still can't deny that I felt like I was taken for a fool.

 

"Ah, I just want to show Senpai that this kind of thing can happen. It is true that I want to know how good you are. So, I'll fight with three cards too. And please think about why I bet three candies instead of two later."

 

 Oribe saw my frown and summoned three cards.

 

 The first card was a Dullahan, which I also have. It was an essential card at the professional level, and also a very natural choice for a woman who loves horror movies to have in her arsenal.

 

 The second card was a beautiful white-haired young woman, dressed in a kimono. What is this card? The atmosphere seemed too alluring for a Yuki-onna1... The way she wore her kimono and exposed the cleavage of her ample bosom reminded me of a nighthawk from the Edo period.

 

 As I was staring at the second monster card, she smiled at me and said,

 

“It has been a long time, Kitagawa-dono2."

 

"Hmm? ...... Don't tell me, you're the Tsuchigumo?!"

 

 I was surprised to hear the old-fashioned way of speaking and the remark that she hadn't seen me in a long time.

 

"I see, you've ranked her up to Jorogumo3!"

 

"Correct. As expected of you, you know a lot about girl cards."

 

Is that perhaps sarcasm.....?

 

 But ...... I didn't expect that creepy Tsuchigumo to change so much with a rank-up....

 

Well, her current appearance might be a kind of mimicry to lure men.

 

 With this in mind, I turn my attention to her last card.

 

 The third card was another typical Oribe card.

 

 A humanoid black mist ...... seemingly like rain clouds with thunderbolts clinging to them.

 

"Is it Honoikazuchi no Kami4 over there? Could this possibly be a rank-up of Yomotsushikome?"

 

"You are right again."

 

Jorogumo and Honoikazuchi no Kami.......

 

 I'm not familiar with their details myself, but they're both powerful cards that have the skill to summon subordinates.

 

 ......This might be a little tough. Does Oribe prefer a proliferation party?

 

 Especially the Honoikazuchi no Kami, one of the most powerful cards in the C-rank, which wields powerful [Eight Raijin5] skill. If I tell you that its price is close to 100 million, even though it is not a girl card, you will know how strong it is.

 

 It will be very tough if it keeps summoning subordinates endlessly while being defended by Dullahan.

 

 To beat them, either make a quick victory by brute force or counter by using subordinates too.

 

 After much thought, I summoned Eliza, Renge, ...... and Athena.

 

 When Oribe saw this, her face warped in disbelief.

 

"A, Athe ......na?! How in the world did you ......?!"

 

"Hehe, actually... I won her from a pack from the Guild."

 

"Don't tell me it was one of those crazy packs that cost 10 million per pack? How much did you buy?"

 

"Eh, heh, heh......, four, hundred million."

 

 Hearing this, Oribe's body swayed as if she was dizzy from standing up.

 

"Senpai...... as expected, I will pull back for a moment."

 

"……………………………"

 

"But, I see, with the Guild pack. And you bring her out at this time...... Plus, that for......, I see."

 

Ugh, I have a feeling that she already knows that Athena can't use very many skills.

 

 It would be a bad idea to give her any more time to think over this.

 

"Athena, summon Nike."

 

"Uuh ...... is, is it a battle?"

 

 At my words, Athena looked at Oribe's cards and my face alternately in dismay. So I spoke to her softly,

 

"...Athena doesn't need to fight. Just summon Nike and it will be fine."

 

"I- I know that! I was not afraid to do it! Utamaro, if you are going to do this, you must dedicate your victory to this Athena! Is that clear?!"

 

 My words may have hurt her pride as the goddess of war, but she summoned Nike, despite her face turning bright red.

 

 Seeing that my side summoned Nike, Oribe also moved quickly. Clad in Dullahan, she took a large distance and ordered Jorogumo and Honoikazuchi no Kami to summon their subordinates.

 

 Jorogumo transformed into a giant spider nearly five meters long and gave birth to more than a dozen baby spiders, which instantly doubled and tripled in size, growing into giant spiders almost three meters in length.

 

 On the other hand, Honoikazuchi no Kami summoned five Yomotsushikomes. Each of the summoned Yomotsushikome further summoned more than a dozen Yomigun.

 

 In the blink of an eye, an army of giant spiders and an undead army appeared in the small clearing.

 

 In contrast, our side summoned a chariot squadron of Eirei (spirits of warriors). Although the number of chariots summoned at one time was only four, each chariot was of higher caliber than those of the giant spiders and the Yomigun, whose fighting power was estimated to be around a hundred or so.

 

 The Yomigun and the chariot forces clashed with each other. From the rear of the two groups, magic bombardments and support from the various cards were flying in and out, making the battle more like a war than a fight.

 

 The chariots ran across the battlefield in all directions, unilaterally slaughtering the enemy. But the undead army (Yomigun) filled the holes in the battlefield instantly, and their numbers did not seem to be decreasing.

 

 However, there was a space limit, no matter how infinitely they could increase. In that case, the difference in quality is what counts.

 

 While the Yomigun multiplied at an explosive rate, the pace at which our side was beaten by the enemy was slower, even though our numbers were smaller.

 

 The opportunity to counterattack will come when the enemy forces in the space become saturated. From there, we will increase the firepower of Renge and the others to gradually reduce the enemy and increase the proportion of our chariots to theirs.

 

If we get to that point, I'm already as good as winning,.......

 

"....Hmm, it's about time."

 

 There was no way Oribe wouldn't silently overlook such a plan of mine.

 

 Suddenly, a column of black mist rose from the area where she was, and in no time at all, a huge rain cloud covered the sky above us. Numerous lightning bolts ran through the rain cloud, roaring an ominous sound.

 

 This......! And when I turned my gaze in her direction, I could not see the Honoikazuchi no Kami.

 

Then, this is......! Oh no! Below is water! We're going to get hit!

 

 I quickly had Renge pull me up into the sky and use protection magic cards on my monster cards.

 

 At the same time, thunder rained down from the sky ----, but only on the enemy.

 

"Wh, at......?"

 

 I muttered to myself, not knowing what had happened, as the peculiar smell after a lightning strike hit my nose.

 

 Neither I nor my cards received any electric shocks through the seawater.

 

 Instead, the Yomigun getting struck by thunder had electric currents clinging to their bodies while their flesh was blackened and scorched.

 

Self-destruction ......? No, it can't be. Oribe would never do such a useless thing.

 

 As if to prove this, the Yomigun, who do not know pain, still attack the chariots as if they do not notice the damage caused by the lightning strikes.

 

 Fast......! It was as if they themselves had become bolts of thunder.

 

 Furthermore, the chariots that came in contact with the Yomigun were severely electrocuted and suffered heavy damage as if they had been struck by lightning. It continued in twos and threes, and the mighty chariot squadrons rapidly dwindled in numbers.

 

"This is ......! Is this a skill that turns the Yomigun into lightning bombs?!"

 

 After finishing their suicide attack, the Yomigun returned to the soil as if their role was over, but originally they were small fry. Unlike our chariots, they were not much of a threat.

 

This strategy boosted the strength of an army through sheer violence in numbers and utilizing self-destruction. That Oribe is too eager to kill, isn't she......?!

 

Can you hear me, Senpai?

 

 At that moment, I heard Oribe's voice through my badge.

 

 I couldn't help but listen.

 

The [Eight Raijin] of the Honoikazuchi no Kami each rule over the phenomena caused by thunder.

 The Great Raijin is manifested as the mighty power of thunder, the Fire Raijin is manifested as the fire caused by thunder, the Black Raijin is manifested as the darkness of rain and snow clouds, Bloom Raijin is manifested as the lightning tearing apart large trees, the Young Raijin is manifested as the blessing on earth after lightning strike, the Ground Raijin is the manifestation of lightning returning to the ground, the Sound Raijin is manifested as thunder that resounds, and the Concealed Raijin is the manifestation of the way thunder hides behind the rain clouds.

 The skills I just used are based on the [Eight Raijin]. Now, have you figured out which is which?

 

...... The first rain cloud was the Black Raijin.

 The electric current wrapping around the Yomi was the Concealed Raijin.

 The lightning-like speed was the Sound Raijin.

 The chariot troops touched by Yomi were violently electrocuted because of the Bloom Raijin.

 The intensity of the lightning was the Great Raijin and the Fire Raijin.

 The Yomi that returned to the soil after the suicide attack was the Young Raijin and the Ground Raijin, which are the demerits of the skills.

 

Fufu, you are mostly correct. However, although the fact that they return to the soil after use is a reaction to the skill, it is not a demerit. After returning to the ground, there is an effect of rejuvenating the Great Raijin and Fire Raijin with the Young Raijin.

 

I see, so it's a cycle of an infinitely increasing number of subordinates into bombs and self-recovery. It's so friendly huh, or rather... it's folly strong.

 

The interesting thing about the [Eight Raijin] is that it is not actually an auxiliary skill, but a curse skill. The first step is to curse the summoned subordinates and then transfer the curse to the enemy. ...... By the way, are you familiar with the skills of Tsuchigumo, Senpai?

 

The skills of Tsuchigumo? I don't know. ...... It's not a particularly strong card, and I wasn't planning to use it myself.

 

 When I was unable to answer, Oribe told me in a slightly grumpy voice,

 

......Since you apparently don't even know what skills your pretty junior has on hand, I'll tell you. The main skill of the Tsuchigumo is to serve poison on a plate. It is a skill that gathers and condenses curses from the surrounding area to itself. She was able to carry it over when she ranked up.

 

......Don't tell me!

 

 I glared at the former Tsuchigumo, now Jorogumo, standing in the distance. A black haze surrounded her, forming an eerie skull.

 

This skill is powerful, but it takes time. Thank you for joining me in my stalling chit-chat.

 

........................

 

Now, there's not even one chariot left. The suicide squad is still about half. If I hit with the curse skill that we've developed so far, Senpai's cards won't be spared either. --Checkmate.

 

 Oribe advised me to surrender, and I .......

 

Fu, fufufu……

 

...... What is so funny?

 

 Oribe gave me a doubtful voice when I suddenly started laughing.

 

No, it's just, I didn't think that Sayo was 'also' stalling for time. I thought we were talking to each other while thinking the other was an idiot, but then things got a little weird. “——Checkmate.”

 

What?!

 

 The closing declaration was made not through the badge, but through Renge, speaking to her from behind her.

 

 Oribe turned around in surprise and saw Renge who had transformed into Kisshouten, she then turned around again to stare at Renge standing next to me.

 

 Then the Renge over here ...... along with Eliza, disappeared like a haze, and a red-haired female demon appeared as if replacing them.

 

"Whew~...... it sure is tiring to disguise myself as two people simultaneously."

 

 Suzuka exhaled a big breath and then leaned against me.

 

 When Oribe saw her like that, she clicked her tongue.

 

I see. I guess I was deceived from the beginning. This is quite the bite.

 

A single strike from the Renge that has become Kisshouten would also smash through Dullahan's defenses and inflict heavy damage on the master. Surrender.

 

Hm...... can't be helped. I guess there's no choice, huh? ---- To win straightforwardly.

 

What?

 

 At the same time that I tilted my head, a light shock struck my back. It was a light attack at a level that doesn't even trigger the defensive magic of the badge. However, it was certainly a direct attack on me.

 

 When I looked back fearfully, I saw a black haze there, an E-rank monster, a Nightmare.

 

Almost no damage, but it was also a direct attack. I win.

 

What...... a fourth one?! A foul......, or not, I guess? Dammit, you got me!

 

Fufu, ye, it's not against the rules. I'm allowed to summon up to four cards. Of course, I've summoned mine before you set foot in this place.

 

You really got me. ......Does that mean I've been beaten from the very beginning?

 

Well, I guess something like this might happen. I don't know exactly to what extent the rules will be applied in the actual game, but something like 'cards could only be summoned after deciding on a battle' shouldn't be there, because it is even allowed to intrude in the middle of a battle with a monster. Most likely, the excess summoned cards will be sent back according to the result of the bet. Like this, I am sure there will be some who will hide monster cards or subordinates from the beginning like this. And that wouldn't be a foul as long as it is within the number of summoned cards.

 

I'm learning a lot......

 

Me too, I didn't think you could corner me that far and make a turnaround. Well, I'm the winner according to the rules. You'll have to wait here for an hour.

 

 After saying this, Oribe grinned and walked away.

 

 I saw her leave and plopped into the seawater with a splash.

 

"Haa~, I was defeated! I lost!"

 

 I let out my frustration as I floated around in the water.

 

 The cold seawater cooled my hot head and heart comfortably.

 

...I was getting a little too confident because I've been on a winning streak lately.

 

 In the match against Oribe, I was able to get a bit further with my planning, but in the end, I was completely defeated.

 

And I think Anna is also getting stronger.

 

This training camp may provide more gains than I thought.

 

 And I, having lost an hour, naturally came in last place in the race.

 

***

 



Notes:

Yuki-onna (雪女= 'snow woman') is a spirit or yōkai in Japanese folklore

Tono (殿 との), pronounced '-dono' (どの) when attached to a name, roughly means 'lord' or 'master' as a form of respect. It does not imply noble status although it is a term similar to 'milord'.

A type of spirit or yokai that can shapeshift into a beautiful woman

Honoikazuchi no Kami= Deity of fire and thunder, or it can be translated as ‘Flaming thunder god’

Raijin = thunder god

 




Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Please help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon!

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me